Friday, January 05, 2007

January 5 - Who's Doing the Building?

Today's Reading:
O.T. - 2 Samuel 5 - 7
N.T. - 2 Corinthians 8:1 - 9:5

Focus Verses: 2 Samuel 7:9-11
8 "Now then, tell my servant David, 'This is what the LORD Almighty says: I took you from the pasture and from following the flock to be ruler over my people Israel. 9 I have been with you wherever you have gone, and I have cut off all your enemies from before you. Now I will make your name great, like the names of the greatest men of the earth. 10a And I will provide a place for my people Israel and will plant them so that they can have a home of their own and no longer be disturbed.'"

Insight:
After King David was settled into his palace, he got thinking about the old tent that housed the ark of God. He thought, "I live in such a nice cedar house, but the ark of God is in that old worn tabernacle." So he called in the prophet Nathan and told him of his idea to build a nicer house for God. God responds to David by saying, "What makes you think I need you to build something for me?" He reminds David, "I'm the one who found you. I made you what you are. I'm the one building a house for you and for my people! I've gone where they've gone and I've defeated their enemies. I will give you a great name and I will provide a place for my people."

Response and Action:
While it is good for me to want to serve and honor God, I must always remember that anything I do for God is at best a response to what God has already done for me. God is God regardless of what I do or do not do. Unless the Lord builds the house, my labor is in vain (Psalm 127:1). God is the one who is building; he is the one providing, leading, sheltering, and protecting his people. I need to recognize what God is doing for me and be very cautious about thinking too highly of the things I do for God.

O God. Thank you for all the ways you lead, bless, shape, and empower me. I recognize that without you, I would be nothing. You are the one who lifts me. You are the one who saves me. You are the one who gives me purpose. You are the one who provides for me. Help me to offer my body as a living sacrifice to you as a spiritual act of worship. Strengthen my hands to serve you. Help me to always remember that I am your workmanship, created in Christ Jesus, to do good works you've prepared for me to do. Build me up, O God, that I might do your will and bring praise to you. Amen.

Proverbs: 5:21
"
For a man's ways are in full view of the LORD, and he examines all his paths."

Resources:
Desiring God's Will: Aligning Our Hearts With The Heart Of God
by David G. Benner