Wednesday, January 24, 2007

January 24 - My Attitude

Today's Reading:
O.T. - 2 Kings 3 - 4
N.T. - Philippians 2

Focus Verses: Phil. 2:3-7
3Do nothing out of selfish ambition or vain conceit, but in humility consider others better than yourselves. 4Each of you should look not only to your own interests, but also to the interests of others. 5Your attitude should be the same as that of Christ Jesus: 6Who, being in very nature God, did not consider equality with God something to be grasped, 7but made himself nothing, taking the very nature of a servant, being made in human likeness.

Insight:
Paul urges his Christian friends in Philippi to do all they can to promote unity among themselves. Their relationships with each other should reflect the unity and fellowship they have with Christ -- the same love, like-mindedness, unity in purpose, and oneness in spirit. To do this, they will have to set aside selfish ambitions, pride, and conceit. They will have to see past their own needs and interests to the needs and interests of others. That is what Christ has done for them; he emptied himself, considered their needs and interests, and exercised humility and unselfishness. This, then, is what Paul says is the same thing they need to do for each other. If they want Christ-like unity, they will need to be Christ-like toward each other.

Response and Action:
Unity among Christians does not ultimately result from shared ideas, projects, dogma, or mission. Instead, it results from Christians being Christ-like toward each other. If I want to experience unity with others, I should follow the example of love Jesus has demonstrated toward me. My relationship with him came about not because I was already like him (far from it), but rather because he was humble, unselfish, and committed to my best interests. How many rich relationships would be available to me if I would humble myself, live generously, and truly care about the best interests of others?

O Jesus, thank you for your selfless love and generosity toward me. Thank you for removing barriers and making it possible for me to experience peace and unity with God. Help me, by your Spirit, to live with humility and care for others. Help me to experience true oneness, like-mindedness, unity of purpose, and a kindred spirit with all who follow you. And may our unity and love be a light and a blessing to the whole world. Amen.


Proverbs: 24:3-4
"By wisdom a house is built, and through understanding it is established through knowledge its rooms are filled with rare and beautiful treasures."

Resources:
Becoming Real: Christ's Call to Authentic Living
by Steven James