Sunday, January 07, 2007

January 7 - Believing Sinners

Today's Reading:
O.T. - 2 Samuel 11 - 12
N.T. - 2 Corinthians 10

Focus Verses: 2 Corinthians 10:17-18
17But, "Let him who boasts boast in the Lord." 18For it is not the one who commends himself who is approved, but the one whom the Lord commends.

Insight:
Both of today's readings are disturbing to read as they expose the frailty and sin of believers. The 2 Samuel narrative tells of King David's self-absorbed acts of adultery, murder, manipulation, deception, and fraudulent abuse of power. It's awful to see just how a person of faith can be so blind to his own sin. The only hopeful moment in the account is David's admission of guilt and his contrite repentance.

Reading 2 Corinthians 10 is a bit like overhearing an argument but not fully understanding what it's about. Though you might not be privy to all the details, some aspects of the disagreement are clear: who has the most authority, who should be respected the most, and who deserves credit for what. It's sad to see that these attitudes and arguments are just as present in the earliest days of Christianity as they are today. The Apostle Paul warns against boasting and thinking of ourselves too highly. Instead, we should be "boasting" about the Lord -- who he is and what he does. It is the Lord's commendation we should desire, not approval from each other.

Response and Action:
I need to be humble before God and before people. I need to be honest about my own capacity for sin and to guard against it. I do not want to be a believer who is blind to his own sin, malice, and pride. Self-approval and the approval of others can be deceptive and dangerous; my desire should be to please the Lord. I want to hear him say, "Well done, good and faithful servant."

Create in me a clean heart, O God. Give me an honest and humble view of myself. Help me to recognize my own sin and weaknesses. Give me a genuine love and care for the wellbeing of others that I might not sin against them. Help me to live with reverence before you and to seek you with my whole heart, that I might not sin against you. May your goodness and your grace, O Lord, be the only "boast" I make. Amen.

Proverbs: 7:4-5
"Say to wisdom, 'You are my sister,' and call understanding your kinsman; they will keep you from the adulteress, from the wayward wife with her seductive words."

Resources:
Humility: True Greatness
by C. J. Mahaney and Joshua Harris