Monday, January 08, 2007

January 8 - Restoring the Banished

Today's Reading:
O.T. - 2 Samuel 13 - 14
N.T. - 2 Corinthians 11

Focus Verses: 2 Samuel 14:14
14 Like water spilled on the ground, which cannot be recovered, so we must die. But God does not take away life; instead, he devises ways so that a banished person may not remain estranged from him.

Insight:
Joab's elaborate ruse to convince David to show mercy to his son, Absalom, is very interesting. Why is this so prevalent in the stories about David? Was David difficult to approach? Did he not take criticism well? Was he so feared even by those closest to him? Whatever the reason, the words Joab puts in the mouth of the woman from Tekoa are effective and David is persuaded (even though he sees through the ruse). Her description of God - "he devises ways so that a banished person may not remain estranged from him" - may have reminded David of his own words of repentance (Psalm 51) that he offered up to God after his sin with Bathsheba: "Do not cast me from your presence or take your Holy Spirit from me. Restore to me the joy of your salvation and grant me a willing spirit, to sustain me." (Psalm 51:11-12)

Response and Action:
I praise God for devising ways to save the lost, welcome back the banished, and restore the estranged. I will praise God for the hope and peace he extends to all who follow Jesus -- peace with God, peace among people, and peace of heart and mind. I will make every effort to live at peace with all people, restore relationships, and rebuild the broken.

Thank you, O God, for your gracious and restoring love toward me. Help me to likewise be gracious to others
. Thank you for the peace and restoration you extend through Christ. Help me to live in that peace and to live out that peace. Amen.

Proverbs: 8:34-35
"Blessed is the man who listens to me, watching daily at my doors, waiting at my doorway. For whoever finds me finds life and receives favor from the LORD."

Resources:
Rebuilding Your Broken World
by Gordon MacDonald