Saturday, January 06, 2007

January 6 - Cheerful Generosity

Today's Reading:
O.T. - 2 Samuel 8 - 10
N.T. - 2 Corinthians 9:6 - 15

Focus Verses: 2 Corinthians 9:6-8
6Remember this: Whoever sows sparingly will also reap sparingly, and whoever sows generously will also reap generously. 7Each man should give what he has decided in his heart to give, not reluctantly or under compulsion, for God loves a cheerful giver. 8And God is able to make all grace abound to you, so that in all things at all times, having all that you need, you will abound in every good work.

Insight:
Giving generously to help others and to advance the cause of Jesus is a testimony of faith and thanksgiving. When I recognize God's grace and generosity to me, I can give cheerfully and freely. Joyful giving reflects my confidence in God to supply my needs and my willingness to share God's blessings with others. What I give is mine to decide, how I give shows my faith in God's ongoing generosity and goodness to those who trust in him.

Response and Action:
God has been so generous and good to me that I too want to be a cheerful giver. I have decided in my heart to give generously to others in need, to my church, and to those who are advancing Christ's kingdom and purposes in the world. I give in the confidence that God is able to supply all my needs and that his goodness to his own will never cease.

Holy Father, I long to see your kingdom come -- your will lived out on earth as it is in heaven. Thank you for faithfully providing my daily bread. Thank you for your generous grace, and mercy, and forgiveness. Make me a cheerful giver and bless my giving to the praise of your name and the fulfillment of your good will toward humankind. Amen.

Proverbs: 6:6-8
"Go to the ant, you sluggard; consider its ways and be wise! It has no commander, no overseer or ruler, yet it stores its provisions in summer and gathers its food at harvest."

Resources:
Giving to God: The Bible's Good News about Living a Generous Life
by Mark Allan Powell