Thursday, March 15, 2007

March 15 - If You Suffer

Today's Reading:
O.T. - Job 12 - 14
N.T. - 1 Peter 4

Focus Verses: 1 Peter 4:12-16
12Dear friends, do not be surprised at the painful trial you are suffering, as though something strange were happening to you. 13But rejoice that you participate in the sufferings of Christ, so that you may be overjoyed when his glory is revealed. 14If you are insulted because of the name of Christ, you are blessed, for the Spirit of glory and of God rests on you. 15If you suffer, it should not be as a murderer or thief or any other kind of criminal, or even as a meddler. 16However, if you suffer as a Christian, do not be ashamed, but praise God that you bear that name.

Insight:
Christians are not exempt from suffering. We live in a sin-sick world where suffering is the norm, so we should not be surprised when we experience it. A Christ-centered, biblical faith is very realistic about the reality of sin and suffering. We can bring suffering onto ourselves by our participation in sinful actions. We can also suffer for participating in Christ's call to oppose and resist sin in ourselves and in the world. Peter encourages followers of Jesus to remember that Christ himself suffered, and that God will bless and sustain us when we suffer with Him.

Response and Action:
I will be realistic about suffering and accept the fact that I am more likely to experience suffering than escape it. Because I understand that suffering is the result of sin in the world, I will avoid sinful choices and actions. I don't want to bring suffering upon myself, or others. I will follow Jesus' example and consider how he remained faithful to God while enduring suffering. I will try to resist, oppose, and undo sin in the world as an act of worship to God, and if I suffer for doing so, I will consider it a blessing.

O God, give me the grace and strength to face suffering. Help me to throw off the sins that entangle me, that I might not cause suffering for others, and that I might avoid needless suffering in my own life. Help all those who believe and follow Christ to stand firm against sin in the world, even if when they suffer for doing so. Sustain us and encourage us by your grace and Holy Spirit. Thank you for Jesus, who suffered for my sake and for my salvation. Thank you that one day you will set all things to rights and wipe away all tears from our eyes. Amen.

Proverbs: 15:11
"Death and Destruction lie open before the LORD — how much more the hearts of men!"

Resources:
The Cross of Christ
by John Stott