Wednesday, March 07, 2007

March 7 - Quick to Listen

Today's Reading:
O.T. - Nehemiah 12 - 13
N.T. - James 1

Focus Verses:
James 1:19
19My dear brothers, take note of this: Everyone should be quick to listen, slow to speak and slow to become angry, 20for man's anger does not bring about the righteous life that God desires. 21Therefore, get rid of all moral filth and the evil that is so prevalent and humbly accept the word planted in you, which can save you.

Insight:
For anyone who wants to live a righteous life, anger is something to be avoided. James offers some suggestions for how anger can be avoided: 1) be a good listener; 2) be sure to take the time to be considerate and thoughtful before speaking; 3) be honest about your own sin and be serious about dealing with it; 4) be humble and be a person who loves and absorbs God's word.

Paul's words in Ephesians 4:25-27 on this subject are helpful: "Therefore each of you must put off falsehood and speak truthfully to his neighbor, for we are all members of one body. 'In your anger do not sin': Do not let the sun go down while you are still angry, and do not give the devil a foothold."

Response and Action:
I must recognize the danger of being angry and make efforts to avoid it. I will immerse myself in God's word so it can shape and guide me. I will be careful to humbly deal with the sin in my own life and patient with the weaknesses of others. I want to do more listening than talking. When I do speak, I want it to be loving, helpful, measured, and considerate.

O Lord, help me to be a good listener. Help me to be quick to listen to you, that I might be led and shaped by you. Help me to be a considerate listener to the people around me, that I might be able to understand and respect them. When I speak, help me to speak truth and love that is consistent with your word. Help me to say only the things that are helpful and useful for others. Through Christ, I pray. Amen.

Proverbs: 7:2
"Keep my commands and you will live; guard my teachings as the apple of your eye."

Resources:
The Other Side of Love: Handling Anger in a Godly Way
by Gary Chapman