Tuesday, March 20, 2007

March 20 - Eyewitness

Today's Reading:
O.T. - Job 32 - 34
N.T. - 1 John 1

Focus Verses: 1 John 1:1-4
1That which was from the beginning, which we have heard, which we have seen with our eyes, which we have looked at and our hands have touched—this we proclaim concerning the Word of life. 2The life appeared; we have seen it and testify to it, and we proclaim to you the eternal life, which was with the Father and has appeared to us. 3We proclaim to you what we have seen and heard, so that you also may have fellowship with us. And our fellowship is with the Father and with his Son, Jesus Christ. 4We write this to make our joy complete.

Insight:
The Apostle John begins this letter with words that clearly bring to mind the introduction to his gospel account (John 1:1-14) -- "In the beginning was the word, and the word was with God and the word was God." In 1 John 1:1-4, several important ideas are presented: 1. John and the other apostles are eyewitnesses to Jesus; they saw him, heard him, and touched him. Their testimony grows out of their first-hand experience with him. 2. John affirms the physical reality of Jesus' humanity; he touched him, saw him, and lived with him. Jesus wasn't an invention, an idea, or a spirit; he was a real flesh and blood person. 3. John and the others who had been with Jesus were convinced that he was "the Word of Life;" he was sent from God "the Father;" he was the "Son" and the "Christ" of God; and he was the source of "eternal life" and "joy."

Response and Action:
When I read the words of the Apostle John, I am reading the words of an eyewitness. I will take John's testimony seriously as I consider and form my own conclusions about who Jesus is and what that means for me. The world is filled with many voices, opinions, claims, and theories about Jesus; I will give priority to the voices of eyewitnesses.

O God, thank you for the reliable words of eyewitnesses recorded in the New Testament. Give me the wisdom, understanding, and resources I need to form accurate conclusions about who Jesus is. Help me to be honest and responsive as I learn more and grow in my understanding. Help me to be a reliable witness of the things you are doing in my life. Give me grace and humility as I discuss Jesus with others who, like me, are trying to discover who he is and respond to him. Amen.

Proverbs: 20:12
"Ears that hear and eyes that see— the LORD has made them both.

Resources:
Jesus and the Eyewitnesses: The Gospels as Eyewitness Testimony
by Richard Bauckham