Tuesday, March 06, 2007

March 5 - Strength through Discipline

Today's Reading:
O.T. - Nehemiah 8 - 9
N.T. - Hebrews 12

Focus Verses: Hebrews 12:11,12
11No discipline seems pleasant at the time, but painful. Later on, however, it produces a harvest of righteousness and peace for those who have been trained by it. 12Therefore, strengthen your feeble arms and weak knees.

Insight:
The things that lead to maturity are often difficult and sometimes unpleasant. The old cliché, "no pain -- no gain," seems to be true. But for those who have been trained by the difficulties of discipline, there is a rich harvest of righteousness and peace. Christian maturity results from accepting instruction and correction, living with purpose, learning from mistakes, setting goals, and taking intentional steps to grow.

Response and Action:
I will accept correction and instruction from God. When I face hardship and struggles in my life, I will look for the ways God is using those problems to refine and discipline me. I will also take steps to lead a self-disciplined life. I will make every effort to develop spiritual patterns and practices that contribute to my spiritual maturity.

O Lord, by the power and grace of your Holy Spirit, lead, teach, transform, shape and strengthen me, that I might delight in your will, and walk in your ways, to the glory of your name. Help me to be a good steward of all you have given to me. Grant me the wisdom and the will to guard my heart, feed my spirit, stimulate my mind, and care for my body. Help me to live a disciplined life that results in Christ-like conduct and spiritual maturity. Amen.

Proverbs: 5:22-23
"The evil deeds of a wicked man ensnare him; the cords of his sin hold him fast. He will die for lack of discipline, led astray by his own great folly."

Resources:
Celebration of Discipline: The Path to Spiritual Growth
by Richard J. Foster