Thursday, March 08, 2007

March 8 - Doing Faith

Today's Reading:
O.T. - Esther 1 - 2
N.T. - James 2

Focus Verses:
James 2:14-17
14What good is it, my brothers, if a man claims to have faith but has no deeds? Can such faith save him? 15Suppose a brother or sister is without clothes and daily food. 16If one of you says to him, "Go, I wish you well; keep warm and well fed," but does nothing about his physical needs, what good is it? 17In the same way, faith by itself, if it is not accompanied by action, is dead.

Insight:
True faith is lived out through deeds. A claim of faith is hollow and worthless if it is not accompanied by action. The specific deeds James mentions here are in the area of practical benevolence: food, clothing, and other physical needs. People of faith should be leaders in social justice and benevolence.

Response and Action:
My faith needs to be more than words and ideas; it must produce action. True faith in Christ results in righteous and benevolent deeds. I should be concerned about the practical, physical needs of people in my community and my world. My faith should prompt me to look for ways to help people in need. I should support benevolent and social justice efforts with my service, time, energy, and giving.

O Lord, open my eyes to the needs of people around me. The needs are so many and so great, Lord, help me not to be overwhelmed by them. Help me to grow in faith, and help me to live out my faith in acts of care and compassion. Thank you for the amazing grace and compassion you have poured out on me. Make me an instrument of your grace and compassion as I live by faith. Amen.

Proverbs: 8:13
"To fear the LORD is to hate evil; I (wisdom) hate pride and arrogance, evil behavior and perverse speech."

Resources:
Head, Heart & Hands: Bringing Together Christian Thought, Passion And Action
by Dennis P. Hollinger