Monday, March 26, 2007

March 26 - Who's Steering?

Today's Reading:
O.T. - Psalm 10 - 14
N.T. - 3 John

Focus Verses: 3 John 1:9-12
9I wrote to the church, but Diotrephes, who loves to be first, will have nothing to do with us. 10So if I come, I will call attention to what he is doing, gossiping maliciously about us. Not satisfied with that, he refuses to welcome the brothers. He also stops those who want to do so and puts them out of the church. 11Dear friend, do not imitate what is evil but what is good. Anyone who does what is good is from God. Anyone who does what is evil has not seen God. 12Demetrius is well spoken of by everyone—and even by the truth itself. We also speak well of him, and you know that our testimony is true.

Insight:
The Apostle John speaks more about God's love and the command for Christians to love each other than any other New Testament writer, but here he has some pretty stark words about someone named Diotrephes. Diotrephes "loved to be first" and "wanted nothing to do with" the Apostle John and his associates. In fact, he was spreading malicious gossip about them and putting people out of the church if they disagreed with him. From the earliest days of the church, there have been teachers and leaders who wanted to steer the church toward their own views and agendas, even over the teachings of the Apostles. This selfish desire to control undermines the church and the Gospel and must be confronted. John urges his readers to follow Demetrius, instead of Diotrephes, because Demetrius lived by the truth, was well known for doing good, and had the commendation of the Apostles.

Response and Action:
It's a very serious matter for a teacher/leader to contradict the teachings of the Apostles. I should be very careful to watch out for ways the church has been co-opted by individuals, personal agendas, political causes, commercial ventures, and the like. I must be a person of the word and study the scriptures closely so I can distinguish between the message of Jesus and the Apostles from the selfish schemes and motives of the world.

O God, I believe in the Holy Spirit, the Lord, the giver of life who has spoken through the prophets. I believe in one, holy, universal, and apostolic church. Thank you for your written word and the guidance of your Spirit. Give me wisdom and understanding and help me to know the truth as I read the scriptures and meditate on them. Help me to turn away from what is evil and false, lead me into truth and righteousness. Through Christ, I pray. Amen.

Proverbs: 26:12
"Do you see a man wise in his own eyes? There is more hope for a fool than for him."

Resources:
True Truth: Defending Absolute Truth in a Relativistic World
by Art Lindsley