Monday, November 17, 2008

November 17 - Watching for God's Lead

Overview of: Numbers

Today's Reading:

Numbers 9:15-23
"Following the Cloud "

Focus Verses: Numbers 9:22-23
22 Whether the cloud stayed over the tabernacle for two days or a month or a year, the Israelites would remain in camp and not set out; but when it lifted, they would set out. 23 At the LORD's command they encamped, and at the LORD's command they set out. They obeyed the LORD's order, in accordance with his command through Moses.

Insight:
After receiving guidance from God on Mt. Sinai, Moses and the Israelites took steps to prepare and organize themselves for their trip to the land God had promised to them. They built the Tabernacle (a portable worship center), they established a priesthood, they took a census, and they established an orderly way to set up camp and travel. It was a huge endeavor and their entourage must have been an impressive sight to see.

Even more impressive was the dramatic way God made his presence and leading visible among them. A cloud covered the Tabernacle and towered above it by day. At night the cloud appeared as fire. When the cloud lifted and began to move, the Israelites would break up camp and prepare to travel. The direction and timing of their travels was absolutely determined by the cloud.

Response and Action:
Just as Moses ascended Mt. Sinai to receive guidance from God, I want to seek God's guidance for my life's journey. The ways I organize my goals, schedule, priorities, and strategies must be informed by the instruction of Scripture and direction by the Holy Spirit.

Just as the Tabernacle was one of the first priorities of the Israelites and at the center of their encampment, I will put worship and spiritual formation first and center in my life. Just as the Israelites were sensitive to God's leading, whether that meant pulling up and moving or staying in place and waiting, I want to be sensitive to God's leading in my life. Just as they followed the cloud, I will follow Jesus and listen to him.

O God, help me to trust in you with all my heart and not depend solely on my own understanding. In all my ways, I want to acknowledge your presence, trusting you to lead me in the best path. Be my cloud by day, shielding me from the draining heat of sun. Be my fire by night, protecting me from the chill of the darkness. Through Christ, I pray. Amen.

New Testament for Today: Matthew 17:5
5 While he was still speaking, a bright cloud enveloped them, and a voice from the cloud said, "This is my Son, whom I love; with him I am well pleased. Listen to him!"
In Context: Matthew 17:1-12

Proverb for Today: Prov.17:24
"A discerning man keeps wisdom in view, but a fool's eyes wander to the ends of the earth."

Resources:
Following Jesus
by N.T. Wright