Saturday, November 08, 2008

November 8 - Good at Giving

Overview of: Exodus

Today's Reading:
Ex. 35:30 – 38:20
"Constructing the Sanctuary"


Focus Verses: Ex. 36:4-7
4 So all the skilled craftsmen who were doing all the work on the sanctuary left their work 5 and said to Moses, "The people are bringing more than enough for doing the work the LORD commanded to be done." 6 Then Moses gave an order and they sent this word throughout the camp: "No man or woman is to make anything else as an offering for the sanctuary." And so the people were restrained from bringing more, 7 because what they already had was more than enough to do all the work.

Insight:
The people were so generous that Moses had to command them to quit bringing their freewill offerings. It's not often you hear a leader ask people to stop giving!

Response and Action:
I want to excel in the grace of giving. I want to give generously, faithfully, regularly and cheerfully to my church and other ministries.

O God, thank you for all you have given. Thank you for the indescribable gift of your son, Jesus, and the eternal life he gives. Give me the heart and wisdom to seek you first and to recognize every good a perfect gift I have comes from you. Through Christ, I pray. Amen.

New Testament for Today: 2 Corinthians 9:12-15
12 This service that you perform is not only supplying the needs of God's people but is also overflowing in many expressions of thanks to God. 13 Because of the service by which you have proved yourselves, men will praise God for the obedience that accompanies your confession of the gospel of Christ, and for your generosity in sharing with them and with everyone else. 14 And in their prayers for you their hearts will go out to you, because of the surpassing grace God has given you. 15 Thanks be to God for his indescribable gift!
In Context: 2 Corinthians 9:6-15

Proverb for Today: Prov.8:17-18
"I love those who love me, and those who seek me find me. With me are riches and honor, enduring wealth and prosperity."

Resources:
Giving to God: The Bible's Good News about Living a Generous Life
by Mark Allan Powell