Wednesday, November 05, 2008

November 5 - Gifted

Overview of: Exodus

Today's Reading:
Ex. 29:1 – 31:18
"Sacred Things"

Focus Verses: Exodus 31:1-6
1 Then the LORD said to Moses, 2 "See, I have chosen Bezalel son of Uri, the son of Hur, of the tribe of Judah, 3 and I have filled him with the Spirit of God, with skill, ability and knowledge in all kinds of crafts- 4 to make artistic designs for work in gold, silver and bronze, 5 to cut and set stones, to work in wood, and to engage in all kinds of craftsmanship. 6 Moreover, I have appointed Oholiab son of Ahisamach, of the tribe of Dan, to help him. Also I have given skill to all the craftsmen to make everything I have commanded you...

Insight:
God chose gifted people to craft the Tabernacle structure, curtains, furnishings, tools, incense, and garments. These people were described as Spirit-filled and skillful. They had knowledge, ability, and artistry.

God has gifted different people in different ways for different purposes. The arts have a special purpose as they contribute to the worship life of faith communities. Artistry, beauty, and craftsmanship are God-given. Those who are skilled in the arts should be called upon to use these gifts to nurture and enrich worship and community life.

Response and Action:
I am thankful for the artistic men and women God has gifted in my church family. I am grateful for the music, photography, craftsmanship, beauty, creative writing, graphic arts, drama, architecture, painting, dance, and so much more that make my worship and Christian experience so rich and enjoyable. I will take note of the ways God has gifted me and consider how I can use these gifts to honor God, serve my Christian community, and shine as a witness of God's goodness to the world around me.

O God, thank you for beauty and creativity. When I consider all the worlds your hands have made--the stars, the rolling thunder, the lofty mountains, the gentle breeze, the songs of birds, the babbling brook--my soul sings, "O my Lord, how great you are!" Thank you for giving human beings the ability to appreciate beauty, and for giving them the skill and desire to create beautiful things. May the works of our hands be a praise to you, a blessing to your people, and a testimony of your grace. I pray in Jesus' name. Amen.

New Testament for Today: Ephesians 2:10
10 For we are God's workmanship, created in Christ Jesus to do good works, which God prepared in advance for us to do.
In Context: Ephesians 2:1-10

Proverb for Today: Prov. 5:1-2
"My son, pay attention to my wisdom, listen well to my words of insight, that you may maintain discretion and your lips may preserve knowledge."

Resources:
Art & Soul: Signposts for Christians in the Arts
by Hilary Brand and Adrienne Chaplin