Saturday, November 29, 2008

November 29 - Thanking God First

Overview of: Deuteronomy

Today's Reading:
Dt. 26:1 – 28:14
"Firstfruits, Blessings, and Curses"

Focus Verses: Deut. 26:5-10a
5 Then you shall declare before the LORD your God: "My father was a wandering Aramean, and he went down into Egypt with a few people and lived there and became a great nation, powerful and numerous. 6 But the Egyptians mistreated us and made us suffer, putting us to hard labor. 7 Then we cried out to the LORD, the God of our fathers, and the LORD heard our voice and saw our misery, toil and oppression. 8 So the LORD brought us out of Egypt with a mighty hand and an outstretched arm, with great terror and with miraculous signs and wonders. 9 He brought us to this place and gave us this land, a land flowing with milk and honey; 10 and now I bring the firstfruits of the soil that you, O LORD, have given me."

Insight:
Once they had taken possession of the land and were enjoying the fruits of working the land, the Israelites were to bring the firstfruits of their harvest to the Lord. The ceremony of presenting their firstfruits was one of thanksgiving, humility, remembrance, and recognition.

I am struck by the profound simplicity of the firstfruits ceremony as I imagine people bringing baskets of their firstfruits and presenting them with words expressing humility and thanks. "O Lord, I am the descendant of a nomadic man who had nothing. I am the child of a nation of slaves. Without God's deliverance, protection, and provision I would have nothing. Yet here I am today with a basket of blessing. What I bring is NOT because of me, my fathers, or my nation, but rather because of our good God who has kept his good promises. I bring these firstfruits of my crop to acknowledge that everything I have is from God!"

Response and Action:
This is the attitude I want to have as I give to the Lord. I want to acknowledge that every blessing I have comes from him. I want to give my first and my best to God as an act of humble worship and a thankful recognition of his goodness to me.

O God, you are my provider. Every good and perfect gift I have is from you. May every blessing I have remind me of your faithfulness. Give me a wise and humble heart that gives you thanks and praise before all else. I pray in the name of Jesus, the greatest blessing of all. Amen.


New Testament for Today: 2 Cor. 9:10-12
10 Now he who supplies seed to the sower and bread for food will also supply and increase your store of seed and will enlarge the harvest of your righteousness. 11 You will be made rich in every way so that you can be generous on every occasion, and through us your generosity will result in thanksgiving to God. 12 This service that you perform is not only supplying the needs of God's people but is also overflowing in many expressions of thanks to God.
In Context: 2 Corinthians 9

Proverb for Today: Prov.29:7
"The righteous care about justice for the poor, but the wicked have no such concern."

Resources:
Giving to God: The Bible's Good News about Living a Generous Life
by Mark Allan Powell