Friday, November 21, 2008

November 21 - Strength for the Journey

Overview of: Deuteronomy

Today's Reading:
Deut. 1:1 – 2:37
"Moses Recounts Events"

Focus Verses: Deuteronomy 2:7
7 The LORD your God has blessed you in all the work of your hands. He has watched over your journey through this vast desert. These forty years the LORD your God has been with you, and you have not lacked anything.

Insight:
God took care of the Israelites during all their travels in the wilderness, even though their wandering in the wilderness was a punishment for their lack of faith and disobedience. God did not abandon his children, or fail to meet their needs.

Response and Action:
My failures to believe in God or obey him can result in missed blessings and a more difficult journey. Even when God's hand of discipline or punishment is on me, he will not abandon me or fail to provide for me.

O God, make me quick to obey you and strong in faith toward you. Thank you for being faithful to take care of me even when I fail you. Be my guide, my strength, and my provider, by the power grace of your Spirit, through Christ Jesus. Amen.

New Testament for Today: Romans 8:35, 37
35 Who shall separate us from the love of Christ? Shall trouble or hardship or persecution or famine or nakedness or danger or sword? - - - 37 No, in all these things we are more than conquerors through him who loved us.
In Context: Romans 8:28-39

Proverb for Today: Prov.21:30
"There is no wisdom, no insight, no plan that can succeed against the LORD."

Resources:
Trusting God: Even When Life Hurts
by Jerry Bridges