Wednesday, November 26, 2008

November 26 - It's Not Because of Me

Overview of: Deuteronomy

Today's Reading:
Dt. 9:1 – 11:32
"Remembering and Obeying God"

Focus Verses: Deut. 9:4
4 After the LORD your God has driven them out before you, do not say to yourself, "The LORD has brought me here to take possession of this land because of my righteousness." No, it is on account of the wickedness of these nations that the LORD is going to drive them out before you.

Insight:
It's important to note that in driving out the nations who were occupying the land he had promised to Israel, God was not only blessing Israel for their obedience, he was judging those other nations for their wickedness. Moses warned the people of Israel against becoming smug and self-righteous as if they were better than the people who were being dispossessed. Moses reminded them of their own idolatry and rebellion against God. He made it clear to them that God's righteousness and goodness, not their own, was the reason for the blessings they were about to experience.

Response and Action:
Moses' warning to the Israelites is a good one for me to think about. I need to be careful to avoid the mistake of thinking that the blessings I enjoy are the result of my own goodness and merit. I am a stubborn and sinful person saved by grace. God's goodness and mercy are the source of blessing and promise in my life.

It is by the power and grace that I am able to experience renewal, transformation, and promise that lead to an abundant life in Christ Jesus. Apart from God's grace, I am no more righteous than anyone else. Apart from God's grace I have no more claim to his promise or blessing than anyone else. Humility and thanksgiving are the attitude I need to have as I enjoy God's provision and promise.

O God, thank you for your grace and mercy toward me, a sinner. Thank you for the hope and promise you have poured into my life. Give me the wisdom and grace to recognize that every good and perfect gift comes from you. Help me to live with humility and gratitude, and make me a channel of your grace and blessing to others. Through Christ, I pray. Amen.

New Testament for Today: Eph. 2:8-10
8 For it is by grace you have been saved, through faith—and this not from yourselves, it is the gift of God— 9 not by works, so that no one can boast. 10 For we are God's workmanship, created in Christ Jesus to do good works, which God prepared in advance for us to do.
In Context: Ephesians 2:1-10

Proverb for Today: Prov.26:12
"Do you see a man wise in his own eyes? There is more hope for a fool than for him."

Resources:
Humility
by Andrew Murray