Friday, November 10, 2006

November 10 - Prayerful Expectation

Today's Reading:
Old Testament: Numbers 11 - 12
New Testament: Acts 12

Focus Verses:

Acts 12:3-5; 8-9; 13-15a
3When he saw that this pleased the Jews, he proceeded to seize Peter also. This happened during the Feast of Unleavened Bread. 4After arresting him, he put him in prison, handing him over to be guarded by four squads of four soldiers each. Herod intended to bring him out for public trial after the Passover. 5So Peter was kept in prison, but the church was earnestly praying to God for him.
------- 8Then the angel said to him, "Put on your clothes and sandals." And Peter did so. "Wrap your cloak around you and follow me," the angel told him. 9Peter followed him out of the prison, but he had no idea that what the angel was doing was really happening; he thought he was seeing a vision. ------- 13Peter knocked at the outer entrance, and a servant girl named Rhoda came to answer the door. 14When she recognized Peter's voice, she was so overjoyed she ran back without opening it and exclaimed, "Peter is at the door!" 15"You're out of your mind," they told her.

Insight:
Herod began persecuting Christians and arrested Peter. The church was praying earnestly for Peter. Peter was undoubtedly praying earnestly about his own situation too. So why are these people, engaged earnest prayer, so surprised when Peter is rescued? Peter thought he was having a dream. When he knocked on the door of the place where all the disciples were praying, no one seemed to anticipate the possibility that it could be Peter.

Response and Action:
When I cry out to God in times of need, I should be fully prepared for him to answer my prayer and grant my request. No one is more prepared to face trials and hardships of life than a follower of Christ. No one has more reason to expect help and intervention in difficult times than a follower of Christ. I will make my requests known to God. I will be fully open to the prospect of his answer to my prayer to be more than I can ask or imagine. I will pray expectantly.

O Father, thank you that I can pour out my heart and lift up my needs and concerns to you. I cast all my cares upon you, knowing that you care for me. I have confidence in you. Give ear to my words, O Lord, consider my sighing. Listen to my cries for help, my King and my God. In the morning, you hear my prayer. In the morning, I lay my requests before you. In the morning, I wait in expectation. Amen.

Proverbs: 10:3
"The LORD does not let the righteous go hungry, but he thwarts the craving of the wicked."

Resources:
Praying to the God You Can Trust
by Leith Anderson