Thursday, November 02, 2006

November 2 - Only Jesus

Today's Reading:
Old Testament: Leviticus 21 - 22
New Testament: Acts 4

Focus Verses:
Acts 4:8-12
8Then Peter, filled with the Holy Spirit, said to them: "Rulers and elders of the people! 9If we are being called to account today for an act of kindness shown to a cripple and are asked how he was healed, 10then know this, you and all the people of Israel: It is by the name of Jesus Christ of Nazareth, whom you crucified but whom God raised from the dead, that this man stands before you healed. 11He is 'the stone you builders rejected, which has become the capstone.' 12Salvation is found in no one else, for there is no other name under heaven given to men by which we must be saved."

Insight:
The Sadducees could not accept the message of Jesus because they were so entrenched in their preconceptions about the messiah and the resurrection. They did not deny that miraculous power had been demonstrated in the healing of a crippled man, yet they could not accept the message and, in fact, wanted to stop it from spreading.

Peter testifies that the miracle he and John performed was done by the power of the Jesus. His testimony about Jesus includes some very important points: 1) Jesus was raised from the dead; 2) Jesus is the Messiah; 3) rejection of Jesus was foretold by the prophets -- he is the "stone the builders rejected;" 4) salvation is found in no one else but Jesus.

Response and Action:
Only Jesus has risen from the dead. Only Jesus is the Messiah -- the promised deliverer. Only Jesus fulfills the words of the prophets. Only Jesus has the power to save from sin. I must put my faith in him and surrender my life to him.

O God, do not let any of my preconceived ideas and expectations blind me to the reality of who Jesus is and my need for him. I want to know him and share the good news about him with others. Give me an open heart and mind so that I might be receptive to Jesus. Give me a boldness to be a witness to the things I have seen and heard in my walk with Christ. Amen.

Proverbs: 2:4-5
"...if you look for it (wisdom) as for silver and search for it as for hidden treasure then you will understand the fear of the LORD and find the knowledge of God. "

Resources:
Jesus Among Other Gods The Absolute Claims Of The Christian Message
by Ravi Zacharias