Saturday, November 18, 2006

November 18 - Watch Out for Wolves

Today's Reading:
Old Testament: Numbers 30 - 32
New Testament: Acts 20

Focus Verses:
Acts 20:23-27
25"Now I know that none of you among whom I have gone about preaching the kingdom will ever see me again. 26Therefore, I declare to you today that I am innocent of the blood of all men. 27For I have not hesitated to proclaim to you the whole will of God. 28Keep watch over yourselves and all the flock of which the Holy Spirit has made you overseers. Be shepherds of the church of God, which he bought with his own blood. 29I know that after I leave, savage wolves will come in among you and will not spare the flock. 30Even from your own number men will arise and distort the truth in order to draw away disciples after them. 31So be on your guard! Remember that for three years I never stopped warning each of you night and day with tears. 32"Now I commit you to God and to the word of his grace, which can build you up and give you an inheritance among all those who are sanctified. 33I have not coveted anyone's silver or gold or clothing. 34You yourselves know that these hands of mine have supplied my own needs and the needs of my companions.

Insight:
Paul reminds the leadership of the Ephesus church of how he led when he was with them. His ministry was selfless, Christ-centered, and motivated by his heart to work for their best interest. He did not diminish the message (v.27), distort the truth (v.30), seek followers for himself (v.30), or work for his own financial gain (v.33). He warns them that they must guard even themselves, because it is leaders like them ("from your own number" v. 30) who are potentially the biggest threat to their church.

Response and Action:
Leaders need to be held to high standards. Paul's warning to the Ephesian elders gives me some practical guidance for evaluating leadership and discerning whether or not a leader should be followed. 1) Self-examination is a trait of a good leader. A good leader is humble and open to questions and concerns about his/her leadership. 2) A good leader will not diminish or distort the truth of scripture in order to gain followers. 3) A good leader will point followers to Christ, not collect followers for him/herself. 4) A good leader puts more confidence in the grace of God (v.32) than his/her ability to lead. 5) A good leader is not motivated by personal gain or status.

O God, you are the True Shepherd. Help me to be discerning of leaders. Help me to only follow those who help me follow you. Protect me, and your church, from those who position themselves as shepherds but are actually hurting the flock for personal gain. Help me to be humble, selfless, and full of integrity so that I may honor you and serve the best interests of others in every opportunity I have to lead. Help me to approach all leadership opportunities as a sacred trust. Through Christ, I pray. Amen.

Proverbs: 18:1-2
"An unfriendly man pursues selfish ends; he defies all sound judgment. A fool finds no pleasure in understanding but delights in airing his own opinions."

Resources:
Basic Christian Leadership: Biblical Models of Church, Gospel And Ministry
by John Stott