Thursday, November 09, 2006

November 9 - Hearing and Following God

Today's Reading:
Old Testament: Numbers 9 - 10
New Testament: Acts 11

Focus Verses:
Numbers 9:17-23
17 Whenever the cloud lifted from above the Tent, the Israelites set out; wherever the cloud settled, the Israelites encamped. 18 At the LORD's command the Israelites set out, and at his command they encamped. As long as the cloud stayed over the tabernacle, they remained in camp. 19 When the cloud remained over the tabernacle a long time, the Israelites obeyed the LORD's order and did not set out. 20 Sometimes the cloud was over the tabernacle only a few days; at the LORD's command they would encamp, and then at his command they would set out. 21 Sometimes the cloud stayed only from evening till morning, and when it lifted in the morning, they set out. Whether by day or by night, whenever the cloud lifted, they set out. 22 Whether the cloud stayed over the tabernacle for two days or a month or a year, the Israelites would remain in camp and not set out; but when it lifted, they would set out. 23 At the LORD's command they encamped, and at the LORD's command they set out. They obeyed the LORD's order, in accordance with his command through Moses.

Insight:
Where the Israelites went and how long they stayed in each place was up to the leading of the Lord. They would set up camp not knowing if they would be there for just a day or two or even a year. However God led, they would follow.

Response and Action:
This account of the Israelite sojourn has always been a good reminder to me about letting God lead. Where I am, how long I'm there, and when I move on to the next thing must all be informed by God' will and directive. I wish it was simply a matter of looking out my window in the morning to see if the pillar of fire or cloud had lifted. Hearing God and following him may not be quite like that, but it is still quite possible. I have written scriptures, the gift of the Holy Spirit, the counsel of brothers and sisters in the church, a heart that is being transformed by God, and God's promise to meet me and guide me through prayer.

Lead me, O God, in the ways I should go. Make my path straight as I acknowledge you in all my ways. Give me ears to hear you, and a readiness to obey and follow you. Help me to delight in your Word. Help me be devoted to prayer. Give me a heart that discerns your leading each and every day of my life's journey with you. Amen.

Proverbs: 9:6
"Leave your simple ways and you will live; walk in the way of understanding."

Resources:
Hearing God: Developing a Conversational Relationship With God
by Dallas Willard