Tuesday, November 28, 2006

November 28 - Hearing, Knowing, and Doing

Today's Reading:
Old Testament: Deuteronomy 23 - 26
New Testament: Romans 2

Focus Verses: Romans 2:13; 21-23
13For it is not those who hear the law who are righteous in God's sight, but it is those who obey the law who will be declared righteous. 21you, then, who teach others, do you not teach yourself? You who preach against stealing, do you steal? 22You who say that people should not commit adultery, do you commit adultery? You who abhor idols, do you rob temples? 23You who brag about the law, do you dishonor God by breaking the law?

Insight:
It is not enough to hear God's law, or understand it, or teach it, or preach it. We must obey it, act upon it; we must do it.

Response and Action:
Morality and righteousness must be lived out. It is important to know the scriptures and grow in my understanding of all God calls me to be and do. I will need more than knowledge; I will need God's grace and the guidance and strength of the Holy Spirit. Righteousness comes by faith in Christ Jesus who makes God's grace and Spirit available to me.

O God, teach me your ways and show me your path. Guide me in your truth and lead me. My hope is in you all day long. I want to be more than a hearer and a knower; I want to be a doer of the word. Help me, through faith and by your grace, to do the good things you have prepared for me to do. I ask this in the name of Jesus, my Lord, who lives and reigns with you and the Holy Spirit, one God, now and forever. Amen.

Proverbs: 28:26
"He who trusts in himself is a fool, but he who walks in wisdom is kept safe."

Resources:
Renovation of the Heart: Putting on the Character of Christ
by Dallas Willard