Wednesday, November 22, 2006

November 22 - God in the Good Times

Today's Reading:
Old Testament: Deuteronomy 5 - 7
New Testament: Acts 24

Focus Verses:
Deut. 6:10-13
10 When the LORD your God brings you into the land he swore to your fathers, to Abraham, Isaac and Jacob, to give you—a land with large, flourishing cities you did not build, 11 houses filled with all kinds of good things you did not provide, wells you did not dig, and vineyards and olive groves you did not plant—then when you eat and are satisfied, 12 be careful that you do not forget the LORD, who brought you out of Egypt, out of the land of slavery. 13 Fear the LORD your God, serve him only and take your oaths in his name.

Insight:
Moses reminds the Israelites that the abundance and blessing they are going to experience, as they enter the land he has promised, do not result from their own efforts or strength. God is the one who has delivered them from Egypt, sustained them in their journey, and brought them into the land he promised. God is to be thanked, worshipped, served, and honored.

Response and Action:
Blessings may be a snare to me if I lose sight of the source of those blessings. When things are going well and I am experiencing abundance, I must be diligent to remember that it is the Lord who is blessing me. I must be careful to not let blessings be a source of pride or a false sense of self-security. God is the one who blesses and provides. I will give him my thanks, worship, service, praise, and love.

O God, help me to love you with all my heart, soul, mind, and strength. May I always remember to give you thanks. Help me to never allow the blessing and provision you provide to become a distraction from you. I am powerless apart from your blessing and provision. O God, you are my God, I will seek you earnestly. Amen.

Proverbs: 22:1-2
"A good name is more desirable than great riches; to be esteemed is better than silver or gold. Rich and poor have this in common: The LORD is the Maker of them all."

Resources:
The Good of Affluence: Seeking God in a Culture of Wealth
by John R. Schneider