Wednesday, July 15, 2009

July 15 - Righteousness from God

Overview of: Psalms

Today's Reading:
Psalms 11 – 15
SONGBOOK I : Psalms 1-41

Focus Verses: Psalm 14:2-3
2 The LORD looks down from heaven on the sons of men to see if there are any who understand, any who seek God. 3 All have turned aside, they have together become corrupt; there is no one who does good, not even one.

Insight:
Contrasting the wicked and the righteous is a major consideration throughout the Old Testament Psalter. It is certainly the prevalent theme throughout the five psalms in today's reading.

In Psalm 11, David says that "He takes refuge in the Lord" who "is righteous and loves justice," believing that "upright men will see his face." In Psalm 14, he attaches wickedness with the denial of God, saying those who say 'there is no God' are corrupt. He acknowledges, however, that "all have turned aside" from God, and "there is no one who does good, not even one."

In Psalm 15, he extols the virtues of integrity and applauds the one who "is righteous, speaking the truth from his heart." David says that these are the people who will dwell with God and cannot be shaken.

Response and Action:
I will give careful thought to my ways. I want to live a righteous life that honors God. Though I want to speak the truth, I humbly recognize the ways I have turned from God and become corrupt. I am thankful that, through faith in Christ Jesus, God has reached past my sin and is at work to redeem and renew me. I’m glad that by God’s grace and redemptive power I can turn away from misdeeds and, instead, live by the Spirit.

O God, by the power and grace of your Holy Spirit, lead, teach, transform, shape, and strengthen me. Forgive me of my sin and help me to turn away from it. Create in me a clean heart. By your Spirit, make me a person of integrity. I cannot be righteous on my own. Thank you for the grace you've extended to me through Jesus. Help me to abide in Him and in doing so become able to walk in his ways. Amen

New Testament for Today: Romans 3:20-24
20 Therefore no one will be declared righteous in his sight by observing the law; rather, through the law we become conscious of sin. 21 But now a righteousness from God, apart from law, has been made known, to which the Law and the Prophets testify. 22 This righteousness from God comes through faith in Jesus Christ to all who believe. There is no difference, 23 for all have sinned and fall short of the glory of God, 24 and are justified freely by his grace through the redemption that came by Christ Jesus.
In Context: Romans 3

Proverb for Today: Prov. 15:9
"The LORD detests the way of the wicked, but he loves those who pursue righteousness."

Recommended Reading:
Becoming Good
by David W. Gill