Tuesday, July 21, 2009

July 21 - My Little World

Overview of: Psalms

Today's Reading:
Psalms 33 – 36
SONGBOOK I : Psalms 1-41

Focus Verses: Psalm 33:6,13-15, 22
6 By the word of the LORD were the heavens made, their starry host by the breath of his mouth. - - - 13 From heaven the LORD looks down and sees all mankind; 14 from his dwelling place he watches all who live on earth- 15 he who forms the hearts of all, who considers everything they do. - - - 22 May your unfailing love rest upon us, O LORD, even as we put our hope in you.

Insight:
In Psalm 33, the Psalmist praises the Creator who brought the vastness of the heavens and earth into existence with the breath of His mouth. Amazingly, this all-powerful God, who sees the expansive and mighty seas as something he could put into jars, is not distant or uninterested in humanity. To the contrary, he sees all of mankind and watches all who live on earth. The One who made the stars is the One who forms our hearts and thinks about everything we do.

Response and Action:
Sometimes I feel lost and insignificant. Though creation is beautiful and impressive, I often feel swallowed up by its enormity and complexity. It's hard to imagine that the God who breathed creation into being is interested in me, but that is exactly the hope and faith of the Psalmist, the message Christ taught, and the heart of the Christian faith.

I will rejoice in the promise that God knows me and cares about me. I will live today in the faith that God sees and considers everything I am doing. I will depend on God's unfailing love and put my hope in Him.

Oh God of the stars, the sun and the moon-- / Oh God of the wind and the sea, / Though You’re everywhere, How amazing it is that You can be here with me.

The uncharted craters of planets beyond, / You know like the palm of your hand; / And yet You’re concerned, with my little world. / Oh, help me to understand.

I know that miracles happen to people like me / the moment we dare to believe; / for we are the objects of God’s mighty love-- / love greater than our little minds can conceive.

The stars could collide, the sun could grow dim, / the whole universe pass away, / Still nothing can change the promise He made, / and Christ in my heart will stay.

"My Little World"
Written by Ralph Carmichael © Bud John Songs, Inc.

New Testament for Today: Matthew 6:26-30
26 Look at the birds of the air; they do not sow or reap or store away in barns, and yet your heavenly Father feeds them. Are you not much more valuable than they? 27 Who of you by worrying can add a single hour to his life? 28 "And why do you worry about clothes? See how the lilies of the field grow. They do not labor or spin. 29 Yet I tell you that not even Solomon in all his splendor was dressed like one of these. 30 If that is how God clothes the grass of the field, which is here today and tomorrow is thrown into the fire, will he not much more clothe you, O you of little faith?
In Context: Matt. 6:5-34

Proverb for Today: Prov. 21:2
"All a man's ways seem right to him, but the LORD weighs the heart."

Recommended Reading:
Learning to Pray Through the Psalms
by James Sire