Thursday, July 16, 2009

July 16 - Son of David

Overview of: Psalms

Today's Reading:
Psalms 16 – 18
SONGBOOK I : Psalms 1-41

Focus Verses: Psalm 16:8-11
8 I have set the LORD always before me. Because he is at my right hand, I will not be shaken. 9 Therefore my heart is glad and my tongue rejoices; my body also will rest secure, 10 because you will not abandon me to the grave, nor will you let your Holy One see decay. 11 You have made known to me the path of life; you will fill me with joy in your presence, with eternal pleasures at your right hand.

Insight:

The Apostle Peter famously quoted this Psalm in his sermon on the Day of Pentecost recorded in Acts 2. Many of the the Psalms of David were considered to be Messianic--they were seen to have a meaning that would ultimately be fulfilled in the fullest way by the promised Messiah (the Anointed One, the Son of David, the Christ).

Peter reasoned that since King David himself died, was buried, and experienced decay, Psalm 16:8-11 was more perfectly fulfilled in Jesus Christ, a descendant of King David who had risen from the grave. Peter understood King David to be prophesying about Jesus Christ.

It seems to me that some other passages in today's reading could also be seen to find their fullest meaning and fulfillment in Jesus' death, burial, and resurrection. Consider these: Psalm 17:11-15; Psalms 18:4-6; 18:45-50.

Response and Action:
In keeping with the teaching of the Apostles, I see Jesus to be the Christ who fulfills the Messianic promises and hopes of the Old Testament prophets. My faith is strengthened the more I see the ways that Jesus' birth, life, death, and resurrection so accurately embody the hopes and prophecies of the Old Testament Scriptures. I will place my hope and my faith in Jesus, believing that he is God's promised deliverer who has conquered death, brought salvation, and will one day reconcile all things to God.

O Lord, I praise you because you counsel me. Even at night, by your Spirit, my heart instructs me. I have set You always before me. I call on you, for you will answer me. Give ear to me and hear my prayer. Show me the wonder of your great love. Save by your right hand those who take refuge in you from their foes. Amen

New Testament for Today: Acts 2:29-32
29 "Brothers, I can tell you confidently that the patriarch David died and was buried, and his tomb is here to this day. 30 But he was a prophet and knew that God had promised him on oath that he would place one of his descendants on his throne. 31 Seeing what was ahead, he spoke of the resurrection of the Christ, that he was not abandoned to the grave, nor did his body see decay. 32 God has raised this Jesus to life, and we are all witnesses of the fact.
In Context: Acts 2

Proverb for Today: Prov. 16:10a
"The lips of a king speak as an oracle..."

Recommended Reading:
How to Read the Psalms
by Tremper Longman