Saturday, July 04, 2009

July 4 - Faith Family

Overview of: Mark

Today's Reading:
Mark 3:1 – 4:41
"Questions, Teachings, and a Miracle"

Focus Verses: Mark 3:31-35
31 Then Jesus' mother and brothers arrived. Standing outside, they sent someone in to call him. 32 A crowd was sitting around him, and they told him, "Your mother and brothers are outside looking for you." 33 "Who are my mother and my brothers?" he asked. 34 Then he looked at those seated in a circle around him and said, "Here are my mother and my brothers! 35 Whoever does God's will is my brother and sister and mother."

Insight:
Jesus was a controversial figure. Crowds pursued him, Pharisees plotted against him, his own family questioned his mental stability, and the teachers of the Law accused him of being satanic. Some, however, believed and followed him, desiring to do God's will. Jesus called them his brothers and sisters.

Response and Action:
Jesus remains a controversial figure today. He still elicits strong reactions. There are those who oppose him, dismiss him, ignore him, and despise him. But I love and him and trust him. I will follow him and be a part of the family who desire to do God's will.

O God, help me to turn away from what is wrong and do what is right. Help me to follow Jesus--to listen and to follow where he leads. By the power and grace of your Holy Spirit, help me to delight in his will and walk in his ways to the glory of his name. Amen.

Old Testament for Today: Psalm 1:1
1 Blessed is the man who does not walk in the counsel of the wicked or stand in the way of sinners or sit in the seat of mockers.
In Context: Psalm 1

Proverb for Today: Prov. 4:18

"The path of the righteous is like the first gleam of dawn, shining ever brighter till the full light of day."

Recommended Reading:
Following Jesus: Biblical Reflections on Discipleship
by N. T. Wright