Tuesday, July 28, 2009

July 28 - Night Song

Overview of: Psalms

Today's Reading:
Psalms 60 – 65

Focus Verses: Psalm 63:6-8
6 On my bed I remember you; I think of you through the watches of the night. 7 Because you are my help, I sing in the shadow of your wings. 8 My soul clings to you; your right hand upholds me.

Insight:

You can tell how difficult and threatening life must have been for David; so many of his psalms perpetually focus on the need for deliverance and refuge. Many of these threats were external--enemies, armies, malicious words, arrows, and swords--but others were internal, like his fears, his sins, his ignorance, and his weaknesses.

He must have had many a sleepless night, but even in those times he turned his thoughts toward God. When he couldn't sleep, whether he was on duty or whether he was filled with anxiety, he remembered that God was his help. Because he believed God would uphold and protect him, he could offer up a song of praise in the darkest night.

Response and Action:
Just a few nights ago I found myself awake. My mind was racing through a long list of concerns over responsibilities and relationships. It was a mild and peaceful night outside, so I went outside and sat down in one of the Adirondacks in front of my house. I laid my head back and watched the clouds float by in the moonlight.

There, in the quiet of the night, I thought of David's words in Psalm 63, and tried to follow his example. I praised God and told him I was trusting him to accomplish his will and to see me through. Then, I went back to bed and slept soundly until morning. When life's concerns wake me up (or keep me up), I will sing a song of trust and hope to God, and then get some rest.

O God, you are my God. I seek you earnestly. In this dry and weary land, my soul thirsts for you and my body longs for you. My soul finds rest in you alone. May the peace of Christ guard my heart and mind in every circumstance. It's in his name that I pray. Amen.

New Testament for Today: Philippians 4:6-7
6 Do not be anxious about anything, but in everything, by prayer and petition, with thanksgiving, present your requests to God. 7 And the peace of God, which transcends all understanding, will guard your hearts and your minds in Christ Jesus.
In Context: Philippians 4:2-20

Proverb for Today: Prov. 28:14
"Blessed is the man who always fears the LORD, but he who hardens his heart falls into trouble."

Recommended Reading:
Praying the Psalms of Jesus
by James Sire