Thursday, July 30, 2009

July 30 - Envy Until...

Overview of: Psalms

Today's Reading:
Psalms 70 – 73

Focus Verses: Psalm 73:1-3; 16-17
1 Surely God is good to Israel, to those who are pure in heart. 2 But as for me, my feet had almost slipped; I had nearly lost my foothold. 3 For I envied the arrogant when I saw the prosperity of the wicked. - - - 16 When I tried to understand all this, it was oppressive to me 17 till I entered the sanctuary of God; then I understood their final destiny.

Insight:

I really appreciate how the songwriter, Asaph, is so honest about his feelings and doubts. He believes that God is good and that he is good to his people. He believes that those who are pure in heart can count on God's goodness. He admits, however, that his faith was on slippery ground. His foothold was shaken by the prosperity of the wicked and he found himself beginning to envy them. "What good does it do me to have faith in you God?" he asks. "I don't understand what's going on!" he says.

Trying to reason through the whole philosophical/theological problem of how God can be good while the world is so evil became oppressive to him. It was only when he began to worship God that he began to see and understand. Worshipping the eternal God gave him an eternal perspective. Temporal prosperity lost its shine and allure in the light of eternal destiny.

Response and Action:
Like the Psalmist, I am sometimes tempted to feel like faith in God isn't getting me anywhere. I can envy the wicked. I can lose sight of eternal promises when I see people who have no regard for God prospering and succeeding. Worship is the way to hold on to understanding and my faith. Worship gives me perspective and reminds me of what is eternal and what is temporal. I will worship God, believing he is good and faithful to his people--to those who seek him with pure hearts.

O God, help me to turn away from what is wrong and to do what is right. In your faithfulness to me, do not let me be tempted beyond what I can bear. Lead me away from temptation and deliver me from evil. Thank you for your goodness to those who seek you. Give me humility and the wisdom to not envy the arrogant. Give me the perspective and discernment to know what is true and what is real. Deepen my understanding of life and truth as I worship you and praise you. Amen.

New Testament for Today: 2 Corinthians 4:16-18
16 Therefore we do not lose heart. Though outwardly we are wasting away, yet inwardly we are being renewed day by day. 17 For our light and momentary troubles are achieving for us an eternal glory that far outweighs them all. 18 So we fix our eyes not on what is seen, but on what is unseen. For what is seen is temporary, but what is unseen is eternal.
In Context: 2 Corinthians 4:1-18

Proverb for Today: Prov. 30:7-9
"Two things I ask of you, O LORD; do not refuse me before I die: Keep falsehood and lies far from me; give me neither poverty nor riches, but give me only my daily bread. Otherwise, I may have too much and disown you and say, 'Who is the LORD?' Or I may become poor and steal, and so dishonor the name of my God."

Recommended Reading:
Learning to Pray Through the Psalms
by James Sire