Wednesday, July 22, 2009

July 22 - Wise Tongue

Overview of: Psalms

Today's Reading:
Psalms 37 – 40
SONGBOOK I : Psalms 1-41

Focus Verses: Psalm 37:30-31
30 The mouth of the righteous man utters wisdom, and his tongue speaks what is just. 31 The law of his God is in his heart; his feet do not slip.

Insight:
Having the truth of Scripture hidden in my heart will give stability to my life. God's wisdom and truth in my heart will be apparent in the words I say and the way I say them.

Response and Action:
I will read the Scriptures every day and apply them to my life. Knowing God's word will help me live a stable and healthy life and help me to speak with wisdom and truth.

O God, may the words of my mouth and the meditation of my heart be pleasing in your sight. Help me to know and understand your word, that my mouth might speak truth and wisdom. Help me to walk with integrity and to speak and act justly. Give me the heart that is guided and shaped by your Spirit, that my mouth would be a blessing to others. Amen.

New Testament for Today: 2 Peter 1:19-21
19 And we have the word of the prophets made more certain, and you will do well to pay attention to it, as to a light shining in a dark place, until the day dawns and the morning star rises in your hearts. 20 Above all, you must understand that no prophecy of Scripture came about by the prophet's own interpretation. 21 For prophecy never had its origin in the will of man, but men spoke from God as they were carried along by the Holy Spirit.
In Context: 2 Peter 1

Proverb for Today: Prov. 22:11-12
"He who loves a pure heart and whose speech is gracious will have the king for his friend. The eyes of the LORD keep watch over knowledge, but he frustrates the words of the unfaithful."

Recommended Reading:
Renovation of the Heart: Putting on the Character of Christ
by Dallas Willard