Tuesday, June 10, 2008

June 10 - Refreshed and Restored

Overview of: Acts

Today's Reading:

Acts 3:1-26
"A Miracle and a Message"

Focus Verses:
Acts 3:19-21
19 Repent, then, and turn to God, so that your sins may be wiped out, that times of refreshing may come from the Lord, 20 and that he may send the Christ, who has been appointed for you—even Jesus. 21 He must remain in heaven until the time comes for God to restore everything, as he promised long ago through his holy prophets.

Insight:
Peter preached that Jesus was the fulfillment of God's promises to Abraham. He gave witness to the resurrection of Jesus. He declared that the miracle he performed was done by the power of Jesus. He called people to turn from sin and put their faith in Christ Jesus. He promised that this would result in refreshment and restoration in their lives, and eventually all things would be restored and renewed by Christ.

Response and Action:
I believe that my hopes for forgiveness and renewal are in Jesus. I believe that only Christ can give me the refreshment and strength I need for life. I believe that Jesus will one day restore and renew all things. I will turn away from sin and seek him with my whole heart. I will follow and obey him. I will put my faith in him and build my life on the foundation of his words and his example. I will trust him to restore all things as I look toward the resurrection of the dead and the life of the world to come.

O God, thank you for the redemption and restoration you have made possible through Christ. Help me to seek him and follow him with all my being. Give me hope and refreshment as I walk in his ways and obey his commands. Restore and renew me today and make my life a testimony of your power and promise to ultimately restore and renew all things. Help me to live by faith and to be a shining demonstration of your power to save and restore. Amen.


Old Testament for Today: Isaiah 40:29-31
29 He gives strength to the weary and increases the power of the weak. 30 Even youths grow tired and weary, and young men stumble and fall; 31 but those who hope in the LORD will renew their strength. They will soar on wings like eagles; they will run and not grow weary, they will walk and not be faint.
In Context: Isaiah 40

Proverb for Today: Prov. 10:25
"When the storm has swept by, the wicked are gone, but the righteous stand firm forever."

Recommended Reading:
Surprised by Hope
by N. T. Wright