Monday, June 09, 2008

June 9 - What Shall We Do?

Overview of: Acts

Today's Reading:

Acts 2:1-41
"Pentecost Preaching"

Focus Verses:
Acts 2:36-39
36 "Therefore let all Israel be assured of this: God has made this Jesus, whom you crucified, both Lord and Christ." 37 When the people heard this, they were cut to the heart and said to Peter and the other apostles, "Brothers, what shall we do?" 38 Peter replied, "Repent and be baptized, every one of you, in the name of Jesus Christ for the forgiveness of your sins. And you will receive the gift of the Holy Spirit. 39 The promise is for you and your children and for all who are far off—for all whom the Lord our God will call."

Insight:
Peter preached to the crowds who had gathered in Jerusalem for Pentecost. Many of the God-fearing Israelites accepted his message and responded to it in faith and obedience. They were cut to the heart and said, "What should we do?" Because of their faith, Peter told them to repent and be baptized. Three thousand people were baptized and in that public act gave witness to their faith (they believed Jesus as Messiah and Savior), witness to their repentance (they acknowledged their sin and need to turn away from it), and witness to their surrender (they recognized Jesus' authority for their lives).

Response and Action:
The message of Jesus requires a response. If I believe the message of Jesus, I must respond to it in faith. A faith response to Christ includes belief, repentance, surrender, and obedience. Baptism is a public witness to the faith response of my heart (believing, turning, accepting authority). Responding to Christ is not just an event; it's an ongoing life. Every day, every way, I want to live out my faith. I want to live a life that is continually responsive to the truth of Christ and his calling. I will press on to take hold of all that Christ has for me to be and do.

O God, give me ears to hear, a heart that is receptive, and a mind that is responsive. Help me to live a life that demonstrates my faith, my desire to turn away from sin, and my commitment to follow Jesus in full surrender to his authority. Help me to be so responsive to the truth and calling of Christ that I am always asking, "What should I do?" Show me your ways. Guide me in your truth, and lead me, for you are God, my Savior, and my hope is in you all day long! Amen.


Old Testament for Today: Psalm 118:24-26
24 This is the day the LORD has made; let us rejoice and be glad in it. 25 O LORD, save us; O LORD, grant us success. 26 Blessed is he who comes in the name of the LORD. From the house of the LORD we bless you.
In Context: Psalm 118

Proverb for Today: Prov. 8:6
"Listen, for I have worthy things to say; I open my lips to speak what is right."

Recommended Reading:
Basic Christianity
by John R. W. Stott