Tuesday, June 03, 2008

June 3 - Everyday Witnesses

Overview of: Matthew

Today's Reading:

Matt. 27:62 – 28:15
"Resurrection Reports"

Focus Verses:
Matthew 28:5-7
5 The angel said to the women, "Do not be afraid, for I know that you are looking for Jesus, who was crucified. 6 He is not here; he has risen, just as he said. Come and see the place where he lay. 7 Then go quickly and tell his disciples: 'He has risen from the dead and is going ahead of you into Galilee. There you will see him.' Now I have told you."

Insight:
While the elders and chief priest told lies and gave bribes to suppress the truth of the empty tomb, Jesus entrusted women with the message of resurrection, and told them to tell his disciples. The religious leaders, who should have been looking for the truth and acting as ambassadors of truth, were actually blind and completely untrustworthy. Women, who were not even allowed to give testimony in a court of law, were chosen by Jesus to be the first witnesses of his victory over death.

Response and Action:
God uses ordinary and marginalized people to shame the "wise" and the "strong." Shepherds were the witnesses of Jesus' birth. Fishermen and tax collectors were the witnesses and partners in his ministry. Women were the first to witness his victory over death. And now, everyday people like me are the witnesses of the gospel--the living testimony of his presence and power in the church.

O God, thank you for entrusting ordinary people with the good news message of Jesus. Thank you for allowing me to be a voice of testimony. Help me, by faith, to do the good things you've prepared in advance for me to do. Help me to experience the power and hope of transformation through faith in Christ. Help me to be a witness for Jesus in the words of my mouth, the works of my hands, and the attitudes of my heart. Through Christ, I pray. Amen.


Old Testament for Today: Psalm 96:2-3
2 Sing to the LORD, praise his name; proclaim his salvation day after day. 3 Declare his glory among the nations, his marvelous deeds among all peoples.
In Context: Psalm 96

Proverb for Today: Prov. 3:3
"Let love and faithfulness never leave you; bind them around your neck, write them on the tablet of your heart."

Recommended Reading:
Character Witness: How Our Lives Can Make a Difference in Evangelism
by Christine Wood