Wednesday, June 25, 2008

June 25 - Strong in My Faith

Overview of: 1 Thessalonians

Today's Reading:

1Thes. 2:17 – 4:12
"Paul's Letter to the Thessalonians"

Focus Verses:
1 Thes. 3:2-5
2 We sent Timothy, who is our brother and God's fellow worker in spreading the gospel of Christ, to strengthen and encourage you in your faith, 3 so that no one would be unsettled by these trials. You know quite well that we were destined for them. 4 In fact, when we were with you, we kept telling you that we would be persecuted. And it turned out that way, as you well know. 5 For this reason, when I could stand it no longer, I sent Timothy to find out about your faith. I was afraid that in some way the tempter might have tempted you and our efforts might have been useless.

Insight:
Paul was forced to leave Thessalonica because of the persecution and opposition provoked by his preaching. Some of the Thessalonians had accepted his message and put their faith in Jesus, but Paul was concerned that the persecution and opposition they were bound to face might prove to be more than they could bear. Paul sent Timothy back to see how they were doing, and was overjoyed to hear that they were standing firm. He sent them a letter commending their faith and encouraging them to lead holy and quiet lives.

Response and Action:
I want to stand firm in my faith. I have not experienced anything remotely like the persecution Paul and the Thessalonian Christians faced, but I am committed to being ready to face hardships by growing in my faith and being firmly rooted in Christ. I will pursue a holy life and make it my ambition to lead a quiet and disciplined life. As Paul was concerned about the Thessalonians, I want to demonstrate love, concern, and encouragement for Christians I know who may be in difficult and discouraging situations.

O God, make my love increase and overflow for my Christian family and for everyone else, just as your love has abounded to me. Strengthen my heart so that I will be blameless and holy in your presence, O Father, when our Lord Jesus comes with all his holy ones. It is in his saving name that I pray. Amen.

Old Testament for Today: Psalm 68:19-20
19 Praise be to the Lord, to God our Savior, who daily bears our burdens. 20 Our God is a God who saves; from the Sovereign LORD comes escape from death.
In Context: Psalm 68

Proverb for Today:
Prov. 25:28
"Like a city whose walls are broken down is a man who lacks self-control."

Recommended Reading:
Stone Crossings: Finding Grace in Hard and Hidden Places
by L. L. Barkat