Wednesday, June 04, 2008

June 4 - Doubts

Overview of: John

Today's Reading:

John 20:1-31
"Resurrection Appearances"

Focus Verses:
John 20:27-29
27 Then he said to Thomas, "Put your finger here; see my hands. Reach out your hand and put it into my side. Stop doubting and believe." 28 Thomas said to him, "My Lord and my God!" 29 Then Jesus told him, "Because you have seen me, you have believed; blessed are those who have not seen and yet have believed."

Insight:
Resurrection is an outrageous idea. It's no small thing to believe that Jesus has overcome death and is alive. The disciples who lived and walked with Jesus and listened to his teaching every day for years were surprised and shocked. The empty tomb seems to have taken them by surprise as much as the crucifixion had--maybe even more. Peter and John stood in the empty tomb and wondered what it meant. When Jesus spoke face to face with Mary, she was so grief stricken and confused she didn't recognize him. Even though Thomas had heard the eyewitness testimony of his friends, he couldn't accept it.

The resurrection of Jesus was not some clever story invented by disciples and friends deluded by wishful thinking. It was something they didn't seem to expect--something they were slow to understand and accept. But once they recognized and experienced the resurrected Christ, it was something that, quite understandably, convinced them that Jesus was indeed God. He was worthy of their worship, faith, and absolute devotion.

Response and Action:
My belief about the resurrection is critical to my view of Jesus. Because I believe Jesus conquered death and is alive today, I worship him, I put my faith in him, and I commit my life to him.

O God, help me to understand and see Jesus for who he truly is. Help me navigate through the doubts and questions in my mind and bring me into a clear and confident faith. Give me the honesty to face and voice my doubts and questions, but give me the courage and boldness to set aside my doubts and questions as you reveal the truth of Jesus and the power of his resurrection. O Christ, show me the power and truth of your resurrection through your word, your Spirit, your people, your promises, your presence, and all that is beautiful and true. Raise and renew me by your power and truth. Amen.


Old Testament for Today: Psalm 80:17-19
17 Let your hand rest on the man at your right hand, the son of man you have raised up for yourself. 18 Then we will not turn away from you; revive us, and we will call on your name. 19 Restore us, O LORD God Almighty; make your face shine upon us, that we may be saved.
In Context: Psalm 80

Proverb for Today: Prov. 4:18
"The path of the righteous is like the first gleam of dawn, shining ever brighter till the full light of day."

Recommended Reading:
Doubting: Growing Through the Uncertainties of Faith
by Alister McGrath