Saturday, June 14, 2008

June 14 - Impacted by Faith

Overview of: Acts

Today's Reading:

Acts 6:8 – 7:5; 7:51 – 8:3
"The Stoning of Stephen"

Focus Verses:
Acts 7:59 - 8:3
7:59 While they were stoning him, Stephen prayed, "Lord Jesus, receive my spirit." 60 Then he fell on his knees and cried out, "Lord, do not hold this sin against them." When he had said this, he fell asleep. 8:1 And Saul was there, giving approval to his death. On that day a great persecution broke out against the church at Jerusalem, and all except the apostles were scattered throughout Judea and Samaria. 2 Godly men buried Stephen and mourned deeply for him. 3 But Saul began to destroy the church. Going from house to house, he dragged off men and women and put them in prison.

Insight:
Though the early church enjoyed good favor and high regard from the general population (Acts 2:47, 5:13), the tension and conflict with the Jewish religious leaders was quickly coming to a boiling point (Acts 4:1-2; 5:17-18; 6:9-13). The incident with Stephen became a starting point for a season of persecution that would cause the believers to scatter. Saul, one of the Pharisees who witnessed Stephen’s death, was a champion for the opposition to Christianity. He led in the campaign to persecute believers, but eventually put his faith in Jesus and became a great champion for the cause of Christ.

I wonder just how much impact the power and testimony of Stephen had on Saul. I would guess it made quite an impression. It's doubtful that anyone, on the day of Stephen's death, could have imagined that the young Pharisee looking on the scene with approval would one day become a powerful witness and ambassador of the gospel.

Response and Action:
Stephen's faithfulness produced results beyond his ability to understand or predict. The same is true for me; I cannot know what action, what words, what attitudes in me will make a positive impact in the lives of others. I will commit myself to faithfully following Christ, allowing his Spirit to shape me, and being bold to share the gospel and express my faith. I will trust that God can use my faithfulness in ways I cannot predict or understand.

O God, help me to know Christ and to live for him. Lead me and transform me by the power and grace of your Spirit. Help me to live a life that is a bold witness of your power. Give me the courage to tell others about Jesus, regardless of the consequences. Give me confidence in your power to use every faithful word and deed to accomplish your will. Help me to live a faithful life that honors you and blesses others. Amen.


Old Testament for Today: Psalm 112:6-7
6 Surely he will never be shaken; a righteous man will be remembered forever. 7 He will have no fear of bad news; his heart is steadfast, trusting in the LORD.
In Context: Psalm 112

Proverb for Today: Prov. 14:30
"A heart at peace gives life to the body, but envy rots the bones."

Recommended Reading:
Serious Times: Making Your Life Matter in an Urgent Day
by James Emery White