Friday, June 27, 2008

June 27 - Keep on Speaking

Overview of: Acts

Today's Reading:

Acts 18:1-28
"Paul in Corinth"

Focus Verses:
Acts 18:9-11
9 One night the Lord spoke to Paul in a vision: "Do not be afraid; keep on speaking, do not be silent. 10 For I am with you, and no one is going to attack and harm you, because I have many people in this city." 11 So Paul stayed for a year and a half, teaching them the word of God.

Insight:
In Corinth, Paul gave great emphasis to ministry among the Jews. He met some wonderful friends, Priscilla and Aquila, who became partners in ministry with him. Later when they moved to Ephesus, they made a connection with another person, Apollos, who also became powerful ally in ministry and teaching.

Paul had a passion to spread the good news of Jesus to the world around him. He determined where to go and how long to stay by being attentive to the Spirit's leading and alert to the receptivity of his audience. He was also always open and ready to enlist the partnership of others, and trusted them to carry on the ministry while he moved on to new places and people.

Response and Action:
I will follow Paul's example. I want to have a zeal for sharing Christ Jesus with others. I need to ask God to give me guidance and opportunities for sharing. I want to be alert to open doors for sharing, sensitive to the receptivity of others, and careful to know when it is appropriate and helpful to speak. I want to encourage others to join me in spreading the good news of Jesus. I want to grow in my effectiveness in reaching others, and help my Christian friends become more ready and able to share their faith.

O God, thank you that someone told someone about Jesus, who told another, who told yet another, until finally someone told me. Thank you for the hope and truth I have received through Christ. Help me to live a life that is truly rooted in Jesus and, therefore, bears the fruit of his Spirit. May all the words of my mouth, the works of my hands, and the attitudes of my heart be a testimony of your saving grace. Give me the opportunities and the boldness to share my faith in Jesus. Make me a wise and winsome witness. Through Christ, I pray. Amen.

Old Testament for Today: Psalm 96:2-3
2 Sing to the LORD, praise his name; proclaim his salvation day after day. 3 Declare his glory among the nations, his marvelous deeds among all peoples.
In Context: Psalm 96

Proverb for Today: Prov. 27:17
"As iron sharpens iron, so one man sharpens another."

Recommended Reading:
Going Public With the Gospel: Reviving Evangelistic Proclamation
by Lon Allison & Mark Anderson