Saturday, December 01, 2007

December 1 - Who Will I Serve Today?

Today's Reading:
Joshua 24:1-29
"Joshua's Final Words"

Focus Verses: Joshua 24:14-15
14 "Now fear the LORD and serve him with all faithfulness. Throw away the gods your forefathers worshiped beyond the River and in Egypt, and serve the LORD. 15 But if serving the LORD seems undesirable to you, then choose for yourselves this day whom you will serve, whether the gods your forefathers served beyond the River, or the gods of the Amorites, in whose land you are living. But as for me and my household, we will serve the LORD."

Insight:
Joshua had successfully led the Israelites into the Land of Promise. They had divided and conquered the land. They portioned out the land and gave an allotment to each of the tribes to settle and live. God's promises to Abraham were finally being fulfilled before their very eyes. Yet, the choice to follow God was just as real as ever. In his final words, Joshua reminded them that their choice to serve God was not just their heritage--it was central to their future.

Response and Action:
I intend to face each new day with a fresh resolve to choose God and follow Christ Jesus. Every morning I will renew my commitment to Christ, turn to the Scriptures for guidance, and set my heart on things above. I will love the Lord, my God, with all my heart, soul, mind, and strength.

O God, you are my God. Earnestly I seek you. My soul thirsts for you, my flesh yearns for you, in a dry weary land where there is no water. Uphold me with your right hand, O Lord. Show me your ways. Guide me in your truth and teach me. Your faithfulness is eternal, and your mercies are new every morning. Help me to choose you every day and to honor you in every way. Through Christ, I pray. Amen.

Proverb for Today: Prov.1:32-33
"For the waywardness of the simple will kill them, and the complacency of fools will destroy them; but whoever listens to me will live in safety and be at ease, without fear of harm."

New Testament for Today: Colossians 3:2
2 Set your minds on things above, not on earthly things.
In Context: Colossians 3:1-17

Resources:
Listening to God in Times of Choice: The Art of Discerning God's Will
by Gordon T. Smith