Friday, December 07, 2007

December 7 - Being before Doing

Today's Reading:
Judges 14:1-20
"Samson's Marriage"

Focus Verses: Judges 14:3-4
3 His father and mother replied, "Isn't there an acceptable woman among your relatives or among all our people? Must you go to the uncircumcised Philistines to get a wife?" But Samson said to his father, "Get her for me. She's the right one for me." 4 (His parents did not know that this was from the LORD, who was seeking an occasion to confront the Philistines; for at that time they were ruling over Israel.)

Insight:
Samson is not very likable or honorable. In just the few verses of this chapter, he seems brash, selfish, impulsive, violent, spoiled, disrespectful, deceptive, quarrelsome, and self-absorbed. Instead of driving out the Philistines, the Israelites were living among them and were dominated by them. Nonetheless, to the dismay of his parents, Samson decided (and demanded) to marry a Philistine woman. He is a stunning reminder that not every person used by God is a good example of how to follow God.

God, nonetheless, intended to accomplish his will through Samson (and his Samson-sized flaws). The redemptive power of God is so great that he can use even our failings to accomplish good. God can hit a home run with a broken bat.

The fact that God can redeem our failures, however, does not mean that God wants or needs us to sin. Samson learns the hard way that it is possible to be used by God and still lose sight of God. How much better it would have been for Samson, had he loved the Lord God with all his heart, soul, mind, and strength!

Response and Action:
I want to know God, not just be used by God. I want to set my heart on things above, to love God with everything I have, to know His will and to walk in His ways. I want my doing to flow out of my being. I want my service to God to flow out of my love for God. I will commit myself to living a righteous and pure life for God's glory, for my own joy and fulfillment, and that I might be used for noble purposes.

O God, draw me to you. Give me a pure and devoted heart. Strengthen me to love, obey, honor, and serve you. Help me to flee the evil desires of youth, and to pursue righteousness, faith, love, and peace. And then, O Lord, use me to accomplish your purposes and your will. Through Christ, I pray. Amen.

Proverb for Today: Prov. 7:2-3
"Keep my commands and you will live; guard my teachings as the apple of your eye. Bind them on your fingers; write them on the tablet of your heart."

New Testament for Today: 2 Timothy 2:20-21
20 In a large house there are articles not only of gold and silver, but also of wood and clay; some are for noble purposes and some for ignoble. 21 If a man cleanses himself from the latter, he will be an instrument for noble purposes, made holy, useful to the Master and prepared to do any good work.
In Context: 2 Timothy 2:1-26

Recommended Reading:
Following After God: What Difference Does God Make
by Daniel Hill