Thursday, December 27, 2007

December 27 - Established by God

Overview of: 1 SAMUEL

Today's Reading:
1 Samuel 24:1-22
"David Spares Saul"

Focus Verses: 1 Samuel 24:18-20
18 You have just now told me of the good you did to me; the LORD delivered me into your hands, but you did not kill me. 19 When a man finds his enemy, does he let him get away unharmed? May the LORD reward you well for the way you treated me today. 20 I know that you will surely be king and that the kingdom of Israel will be established in your hands.

Insight:

Saul was hunting David with the intent to kill him. Rather than recognizing that the loss of his kingship was due to his own failure and sin, Saul convinced himself that David was the problem.

The events described in today's reading illustrate how David could have easily taken Saul's life, but he would not do it. This made the situation so clear that even Saul was forced to admit that David was not stealing the kingdom away from him. God was taking the kingdom from Saul and giving it to David.

Response and Action:
Like David, I want to have the wisdom to wait on God to accomplish his purposes, especially when I am facing resistance or when there is controversy about what is the right thing to do. This kind of waiting on God is very important, not only for me, but for others around me.

If I push too hard or move too quickly in times of conflict, it may make it more difficult for me and for others to recognize God's will from our own. Like David, I want God's leading and blessing to be recognized by all concerned, even those, who like Saul, may be standing in opposition to what God is doing.

O God, help me by faith to do the good things you've prepared in advance for me to do. Give me the wisdom and patience to do them in ways that are clearly blessed and guided by you. Help me to be measured and righteous in times of conflict and controversy. Give me a heart that depends on you and trusts you to accomplish your purposes. Amen.

Proverb for Today: Prov. 27:1-2
"Do not boast about tomorrow, for you do not know what a day may bring forth. Let another praise you, and not your own mouth; someone else, and not your own lips."

New Testament for Today: 1 Corinthians 13:4-5
4 Love is patient, love is kind. It does not envy, it does not boast, it is not proud. 5 It is not rude, it is not self-seeking, it is not easily angered, it keeps no record of wrongs.
In Context: 1 Corinthians 13:1-13

Recommended Reading:
Leadership Essentials
by Greg Ogden & Daniel Meyer