Wednesday, December 05, 2007

December 5 - Too Strong for My Own Good

Today's Reading:
Judges 7:1-25; 8:28-33
"Midian is Defeated"

Focus Verses: Judges 7:1-2
1 Early in the morning, Jerub-Baal (that is, Gideon) and all his men camped at the spring of Harod. The camp of Midian was north of them in the valley near the hill of Moreh. 2 The LORD said to Gideon, "You have too many men for me to deliver Midian into their hands. In order that Israel may not boast against me that her own strength has saved her..."

Insight:
The Israelites had been completely demoralized and dominated by Midian. When the angel of the Lord called Gideon to be a leader to liberate Israel, Gideon was hiding in a winepress to thresh a little grain for food. The thought of his calling was so intimidating he asked God for a sign, and then another, just to be sure he wasn't imagining things.

Gideon assembled 32,000 men to fight for freedom deliverance from Midian, but God said, "That’s too many. You're too strong. Send away those who are frightened." Immediately, 22,000 men left, which says something about how fierce and large the Midianite forces must have been.

Then God said to Gideon, "Ten thousand is still too many!" and proceeded to whittle the Israelite army down to only 300 men. God wanted the number of Israelites to be so incredibly small that only God could be credited with the victory.

Response and Action:
In what ways am I too strong for my own good? Are there times when I take credit for something God has done or is doing? Am I missing out on God's help because I think I'm able to handle things on my own? Do I trust God enough to step out and do things that are clearly too big for me to do in my own strength?

I want to give God glory and honor in every situation. I want to praise and thank God for every success and victory. I want to trust God so completely that I am willing to do what he calls me to do, even if it is something I am clearly too weak to accomplish on my own.

O God, I am weak but you are strong. Help me to see every strength and ability I have as a gift from you. Help me to see every weakness and fear I have as an opportunity for you to demonstrate your power and faithfulness. Help me to live by faith in you, not myself. Through Christ, I pray. Amen.

Proverb for Today: Prov. 5:21
"For a man's ways are in full view of the LORD, and he examines all his paths."

New Testament for Today: 2 Corinthians 12:9b-10
9b Therefore I will boast all the more gladly about my weaknesses, so that Christ's power may rest on me. 10 That is why, for Christ's sake, I delight in weaknesses, in insults, in hardships, in persecutions, in difficulties. For when I am weak, then I am strong.
In Context: 2 Corinthians 11:16 - 12:10

Recommended Reading:
Strength in Weakness: Overcoming Sexual and Relational Brokenness
by Andrew Comiskey