Friday, December 21, 2007

December 21 - Facing Giants

Overview of: 1 SAMUEL

Today's Reading:
1 Samuel 17:1-54
"David and Goliath"

Focus Verses: 1 Samuel 17:45-47
45 David said to the Philistine, "You come against me with sword and spear and javelin, but I come against you in the name of the LORD Almighty, the God of the armies of Israel, whom you have defied. 46 This day the LORD will hand you over to me, and I'll strike you down and cut off your head. Today I will give the carcasses of the Philistine army to the birds of the air and the beasts of the earth, and the whole world will know that there is a God in Israel. 47 All those gathered here will know that it is not by sword or spear that the LORD saves; for the battle is the LORD's, and he will give all of you into our hands."

Insight:
The young David did not have the size, strength, or military experience of a soldier, but he had reverence for God and faith in God's power. He spoke defiantly against Goliath with great boldness, believing as he did that the battle was not something to won by might, but by the Lord.

Response and Action:
The challenges and threats I face in life must be faced by faith in God. My well-being and victory over troubles is something that only God can provide. When I trust in God's power to save and deliver, I can face hardship and challenge with great boldness.

O God, give me the faith to face giants. When the problems and hardships of life are more than I can bear, grant me a heart that trusts in you so completely I am able to stand firm. Help me to remember that victory is not by might or power, but by your Spirit. Through Christ, I pray. Amen.

Proverb for Today: Prov. 21:30-31
"There is no wisdom, no insight, no plan that can succeed against the LORD. The horse is made ready for the day of battle, but victory rests with the LORD."

New Testament for Today: 2 Corinthians 10:3-4
3 For though we live in the world, we do not wage war as the world does. 4 The weapons we fight with are not the weapons of the world. On the contrary, they have divine power to demolish strongholds.
In Context: 1 Corinthians 10:1-5

Recommended Reading:
David: Developing a Heart for God (12 Studies for Individuals or Groups)
by Jack Kuhatschek