Saturday, December 22, 2007

December 22 - Against the Wall

Overview of: 1 SAMUEL

Today's Reading:
1 Samuel 19:1-24
"Saul's Wickedness"

Focus Verses: 1 Samuel 17:45-47
18 When David had fled and made his escape, he went to Samuel at Ramah and told him all that Saul had done to him. Then he and Samuel went to Naioth and stayed there. 19 Word came to Saul: "David is in Naioth at Ramah"; 20 so he sent men to capture him. But when they saw a group of prophets prophesying, with Samuel standing there as their leader, the Spirit of God came upon Saul's men and they also prophesied.

Insight:
King Saul's heart and mind had become so dark and wicked he was up against the wall in every area of his life. Spiritually he was distant from God. Relationally he had become paranoid and distant from his family and friends. Emotionally he was a mess with manic mood swings. Politically he had become a tyrant whose only ambition was to hold on to his power and position. He had become a very sad and pathetic man.

When Saul sent soldiers to capture and kill David, God intervened. Instead of taking David, they found themselves involuntarily singing and shouting with a group of prophets. So Saul sent more soldiers, but when they arrived, they too were involuntarily caught up in the prophesying. When Saul finally went himself to get David, but was struck down by the Spirit and began to praise God instead of hurting David. The more Saul tried to hurt others, the more he hurt himself. His struggle against God and others was utterly self-destructive.

Response and Action:
Spiritual failure results in the loss of self, truth, relationships, purpose, and hope. I do not want spiritual failure to result in life failure. I will turn to God because he is the very source and hope for what my life is meant to be. I will draw near to God because that is how to grow into the person I want to be. I will seek the Lord with my whole heart because my relationship with God makes possible the relationships I long to have, and the love I want to experience. Spiritual growth is absolutely essential to every aspect of my life.

O God, help me to turn away from what is wrong and do what is right. Help me to love you with all my heart, soul, mind, and strength. Help me to love my neighbor as myself. Lead me away from temptation and deliver me from evil. Help me find myself, my purpose, and my all in you. Amen.

Proverb for Today: Prov. 22:5
"In the paths of the wicked lie thorns and snares, but he who guards his soul stays far from them."

New Testament for Today: Ephesians 4:22-23
22 You were taught, with regard to your former way of life, to put off your old self, which is being corrupted by its deceitful desires; 23 to be made new in the attitude of your minds; 24 and to put on the new self, created to be like God in true righteousness and holiness.
In Context: Ephesians 4:17-32

Recommended Reading:
The Gift of Being Yourself: The Sacred Call to Self-Discovery
by David G. Benner