Saturday, December 29, 2007

December 29 - For the Sake of Others

Overview of: 2 SAMUEL

Today's Reading:
1 Samuel 31:1-7; 2Sam. 1:17-27; 5:1-25
"Saul's Death, David's Rise"

Focus Verses: 2 Samuel 5:4-5,12
4 David was thirty years old when he became king, and he reigned forty years. 5 In Hebron he reigned over Judah seven years and six months, and in Jerusalem he reigned over all Israel and Judah thirty-three years. - - - 12 And David knew that the LORD had established him as king over Israel and had exalted his kingdom for the sake of his people Israel.

Insight:
Saul had forgotten how and why he had become king in the first place. Instead of seeing his role as a means to bless others, he was obsessed with holding on to power and position for himself. The nation of Israel was in disarray by the time of Saul's death. There were divided loyalties and sharp political differences. The divisions were so intense that it was necessary for David to conquer the capital city in order to establish his reign.

One of the things that made David so different from Saul was that he understood “that the Lord had established him as king over Israel." He recognized the he had been placed in the position of king, not for his own glory or because of his own merit, but rather "for the sake of the people of Israel."

Response and Action:
How do I think about my successes and accomplishments? Do I pat myself on the back, or do I see that it is the Lord who is blessing and granting success? Do I see my victories and gifts as something for my personal gain and benefit, or do I recognize them as opportunities to serve God's purposes and God's people?

O God, give me eyes that see your blessing, guidance, and support in every success. Grant me the wisdom to see every victory and strength as a gift from you that I might serve your people and to accomplish your purposes. I ask for a humble heart and a willing spirit. Make me quick to give you thanks and ready to live my life to the praise of your glorious grace. Through Christ, I pray. Amen.

Proverb for Today: Prov. 29:2
"When the righteous thrive, the people rejoice; when the wicked rule, the people groan."

New Testament for Today: Romans 12:3
3 For by the grace given me I say to every one of you: Do not think of yourself more highly than you ought, but rather think of yourself with sober judgment, in accordance with the measure of faith God has given you.
In Context: Romans 12:1-8

Recommended Reading:
The Making of a Leader
by J. Robert Clinton