Monday, December 24, 2007

December 24 - True Friends

Overview of: 1 SAMUEL

Today's Reading:
1 Samuel 20:1-42
"David and Jonathan"

Focus Verses: 1 Samuel 20:16-17
16 So Jonathan made a covenant with the house of David, saying, "May the LORD call David's enemies to account." 17 And Jonathan had David reaffirm his oath out of love for him, because he loved him as he loved himself.

Insight:
Jonathan's affection and loyalty for David are a beautiful example of what friendship can be for those who humble themselves before God and walk with integrity. Jonathan could have easily seen David as a threat to his future, his standing, his prospects and his birthright. Instead, Jonathan accepted that David was God's choice to be the next king of Israel. Because Jonathan and David were both committed to God and trusted in him, they were able to pledge their trust and loyalty to each other.

Response and Action:
I want to be a good friend. By seeking God with my whole heart and living according to his word, I will find the wisdom, integrity, and humility I need to be a good friend. I am thankful for the many good friends God has brought into my life. I will pledge myself to being a blessing to them.

O God, I thank you for the friendship Christ Jesus has extended to me. Help me to know him, follow him, and trust him so completely that I am able to be a Christlike friend to others. Teach me to love others as Christ has loved me. I pray through Jesus, my Lord, who lives and reigns with you and the Holy Spirit, one God, now and forever. Amen.

Proverb for Today: Prov. 24:26
"An honest answer is like a kiss on the lips."

New Testament for Today: 1 John 4:11-12
11 Dear friends, since God so loved us, we also ought to love one another. 12 No one has ever seen God; but if we love one another, God lives in us and his love is made complete in us.
In Context: 1 John 4:7-21

Recommended Reading:
Spiritual Friendship
by Mindy Caliguire