Friday, December 28, 2007

December 28 - Making Peace

Overview of: 1 SAMUEL

Today's Reading:
1 Samuel 25:1-42
"Abigail becomes David's Wife"

Focus Verses: 1 Samuel 25:29-31
29 Even though someone is pursuing you to take your life, the life of my master will be bound securely in the bundle of the living by the LORD your God. But the lives of your enemies he will hurl away as from the pocket of a sling. 30 When the LORD has done for my master every good thing he promised concerning him and has appointed him leader over Israel, 31 my master will not have on his conscience the staggering burden of needless bloodshed or of having avenged himself. And when the LORD has brought my master success, remember your servant."

Insight:
This chapter of 1 Samuel tells the dramatic story of how Abigail became King David's wife. With Samuel's death, the conflict in Israel over who should be king, Saul or David, was bound to intensify. The powerful and rich man, Nabal, was clearly not in David's camp. Though he had profited from the protection and help David's men had given him, he insulted David by giving him nothing in return. Nabal heaped on the offenses with snide remarks like, "Who is this David?" and "I hear many men are breaking away from their masters these days."

We can tell from Abigail's words, however, that David's fame with Goliath, his military successes, and his struggles with King Saul were well-known among the people. The faith, wisdom, and decisiveness of Abigail give her a prominent place in the story of Israel (background stories about the wives of kings are rare in the Bible).

She was able take action in a very volatile situation and prevented needless bloodshed. She was articulate, shrewd, and strong. She had faith in God and believed David to be the rightful successor to the throne of Israel. She was rewarded for her wisdom by being brought into Israel's royal family.

Response and Action:
Like David, I want to have the wisdom to listen to godly advice and refrain from rash overreactions in difficult circumstances. Like Abigail, I want to have the clearness of mind and the strength of faith to take decisive actions that stop bad situations from escalating into needlessly painful and destructive situations.

O God, help me to acknowledge you in all my ways and not lean on my own understanding. Give me the wisdom to listen to sound advice. Grant me the wisdom to be able to give godly counsel to others. Give me the courage and good sense to take action when something must be done to prevent problems from becoming tragedies. Through Christ, I pray. Amen.

Proverb for Today: Prov. 28:26
"He who trusts in himself is a fool, but he who walks in wisdom is kept safe."

New Testament for Today: Romans 12:17-19
17 Do not repay anyone evil for evil. Be careful to do what is right in the eyes of everybody. 18 If it is possible, as far as it depends on you, live at peace with everyone. 19 Do not take revenge, my friends, but leave room for God's wrath, for it is written: "It is mine to avenge; I will repay," says the Lord.
In Context: Romans 12

Recommended Reading:
The Peacemaker: A Biblical Guide to Resolving Personal Conflict
by Ken Sande