Wednesday, September 10, 2008

September 10 - Do You Understand?

The new Sept. 2008 - August 2009 schedule will be available for you to download soon. The first day of the new reading schedule is September 15th. Invite others to read with you this year!

Overview of: Bible FAQs

Today's Reading:

Acts 8:26-40
"Philip and the Ethiopian"

Focus Verses:
Acts 8:30-31, 34-35
30 Then Philip ran up to the chariot and heard the man reading Isaiah the prophet. "Do you understand what you are reading?" Philip asked. 31 "How can I," he said, "unless someone explains it to me?" So he invited Philip to come up and sit with him. - - - 34 The eunuch asked Philip, "Tell me, please, who is the prophet talking about, himself or someone else?" 35 Then Philip began with that very passage of Scripture and told him the good news about Jesus.

Insight:
The Ethiopian was searching for truth. He had traveled to Jerusalem and had his own copy of some Scripture, which included at least portions of the book of Isaiah. He was reading and trying to understand the words of Isaiah when the Spirit moved Philip to go near to him. Philip engaged the Ethiopian in conversation, and explained to him how the words of the prophet pointed to Jesus. In the same way that Jesus pointed his disciples to the Scriptures, now the early Christians pointed to the Scriptures as they preached the good news of Christ.

Response and Action:
I want to be a person of the Word. I will commit myself to reading, studying, memorizing, and applying the Scriptures. I want to grow deeper and deeper in my understanding of God's Word and be able to help others understand it too. I will keep my eyes open for people who are seeking to know and understand the Bible. I will come alongside them to study, discuss, and apply the truth of the written Word.

O God, thank you for the Bible. Thank you for the freedom I have to read, and the ready availability of Scripture in my own language. Thank you for the many resources you have provided to help me grow in my understanding and application of Scriptures. Lead me to opportunities where I can help others find you. Help me to recognize those who are seeking for the truth. Help me to know and remember scripture and give me the ability to explain how it points to Jesus. Amen.

Proverb for Today:
Prov. 10:17
"He who heeds discipline shows the way to life, but whoever ignores correction leads others astray."

Recommended Reading:
How to Lead a Seeker Bible Discussion
by Rebecca Manley Pippert