Thursday, September 18, 2008

September 18 - Thanks and Promise

Overview of: Genesis

Today's Reading:

Gen. 8:1 - 9:29
"God's Covenant with Noah"

Focus Verses: Gen. 8:20-22
20
Then Noah built an altar to the LORD and, taking some of all the clean animals and clean birds, he sacrificed burnt offerings on it. 21 The LORD smelled the pleasing aroma and said in his heart: "Never again will I curse the ground because of human beings, even though every inclination of the human heart is evil from childhood. And never again will I destroy all living creatures, as I have done. 22 "As long as the earth endures, seedtime and harvest, cold and heat, summer and winter, day and night will never cease."

Insight:
In reverence before God, Noah built an altar and offered sacrifices. No doubt, he was very thankful for being saved from the flood, but he was also humbly recognizing that even though he had been saved, he too was a sinner. Though God was pleased with Noah's act of worship, the reality of the human inclination toward evil could not be ignored. God, however, determined to never again destroy all living creatures or curse the land because of the sins of humankind.

Response and Action:
Through worship, I can demonstrate my gratitude and humility before God. I need to be honest about the ways my heart is inclined toward sin. I need God to save me from the consequences of sin. Even more, I need God to change my heart so that it is inclined toward righteousness. I will worship God and thank him for salvation. I will humble myself before God and ask him to transform me.

O Lord, thank you for the many ways you save and preserve my life. Help me to offer myself to you as a living sacrifice, holy and pleasing to you. Don't let the world squeeze me into its mold, but instead, by your grace, transform and renew my heart and mind, that the life I live (my attitudes, words, deeds, and choices) might be a spiritual act of worship. Amen

Proverb for Today: Prov. 18:10
"The name of the LORD is a fortified tower; the righteous run to it and are safe."

New Testament for Today: Romans 12:1
1 Therefore, I urge you, brothers and sisters, in view of God's mercy, to offer your bodies as a living sacrifice, holy and pleasing to God—this is true worship.
In Context: Romans 12:1-3

Resources:
How To Read Genesis
by Tremper Longman