Thursday, September 04, 2008

September 4 - Useful and Alive

The new Sept. 2008 - August 2009 schedule will be available for you to download soon. The first day of the new reading schedule is September 15th. Invite others to read with you this year!

Overview of: Bible FAQs

Today's Reading:

2 Timothy 2:1 - 3:17
"Strength for Life and Scripture"

Focus Verses:
2 Tim. 3:12-17
12 In fact, everyone who wants to live a godly life in Christ Jesus will be persecuted, 13 while evil men and impostors will go from bad to worse, deceiving and being deceived. 14 But as for you, continue in what you have learned and have become convinced of, because you know those from whom you learned it, 15 and how from infancy you have known the holy Scriptures, which are able to make you wise for salvation through faith in Christ Jesus. 16 All Scripture is God-breathed and is useful for teaching, rebuking, correcting and training in righteousness, 17 so that the man of God may be thoroughly equipped for every good work.

Insight:
Some of the promises of Scripture don't get quoted as often as others. Verse 12 is one of those: "Everyone who wants to live a godly life in Christ Jesus will be persecuted." Doing the right thing is likely to lead to difficult circumstances. Jesus faced persecution, so it stands to reason we should not be surprised to encounter persecution as we follow in his steps. The Scriptures are able to give us wisdom for life and salvation. The Scriptures are useful to us because they are alive with the very breath of God's truth and wisdom. The teaching, rebuke, correction, and training we receive from Scripture equips us for every good work and every circumstance.

Response and Action:
I need to expect some measure of hardship and suffering as I follow Jesus. I need God's wisdom and truth to live a righteous life. I will look to the Scriptures as a source of God's wisdom and truth. I will approach the Scriptures with diligence and a desire to be taught, rebuked, corrected, and trained.

O God, how can I keep my way pure? By living according to your Word. I seek you with all my heart; do not let me stray from your commands. Help me to hide your Word in my heart that I might not sin against you. Give me wisdom and understanding as I commit myself to the study of Scripture. Use the Scriptures to shape and guide me, O Lord, that I might honor and serve you with all my heart, soul, mind, and strength. Amen.

Proverb for Today: Prov. 4:13
"Hold on to instruction, do not let it go; guard it well, for it is your life."

Recommended Reading:

How to Read the Bible for All It's Worth
by Gordon D. Fee