Friday, September 12, 2008

September 12 - Encouragement

The new Sept. 2008 - August 2009 schedule will be available for you to download soon. The first day of the new reading schedule is September 15th. Invite others to read with you this year!

Overview of: Bible FAQs

Today's Reading:

Romans 15
"Paul Ends His Letter"

Focus Verses: Romans 15:1-6

1 We who are strong ought to bear with the failings of the weak and not to please ourselves. 2 Each of us should please his neighbor for his good, to build him up. 3 For even Christ did not please himself but, as it is written: "The insults of those who insult you have fallen on me." 4 For everything that was written in the past was written to teach us, so that through endurance and the encouragement of the Scriptures we might have hope. 5 May the God who gives endurance and encouragement give you a spirit of unity among yourselves as you follow Christ Jesus, 6 so that with one heart and mouth you may glorify the God and Father of our Lord Jesus Christ.

Insight:
Not all Christians will see all issues in the same way. There will be a wide variety of redemptive behavior. Some matters are disputable. People have very different perspectives, backgrounds, and predispositions, which inevitably lead to differences in meaning, understanding, and application. Each of us stands before God on our own two feet, and so we must stop condemning others or passing judgment in matters of personal opinion and honest disagreement.

What is most important is that we live in peace, and do all we can to encourage and edify each other. The Scriptures should be the basis for unity, not a tool of division. The Bible is a vital source encouragement and hope for us as we pursue unity with a heart to honor God.

Response and Action:
I will not condemn or judge others in matters of opinion. I will strive to live in peace with those who disagree with me. I will do all I can to promote peace, give encouragement, and demonstrate love. I will do my part to build honest, patient, loving, and respectful Christian community. I will look to the Scriptures for the guidance, encouragement, and hope I need to do this.

O God, make me an instrument of your peace. Let me be love in the midst of hated. Help me promote unity where there is discord. Help me to extend forgiveness when wronged. Help me to bolster faith where there is doubt. Help me to be encouraging when there is despair. Help me to be light where there is darkness. Thank you for your Word that leads and encourages your people toward unity. Through Christ, I pray. Amen

Proverb for Today:
Prov. 12:18
"Reckless words pierce like a sword, but the tongue of the wise brings healing."

Recommended Reading:
The Jesus Creed: Loving God, Loving Others
by Scot McKnight